Kernel source for mklinux

Post by Mark P. Brad » Sat, 04 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Ok...So I recently installed MkLinux DR3 on my 6500.  The initial
install went just fine, as far as it goes, but I wanted, of course, to
get my machine networked.  I did some research and found out that my
ethernet card (I have a DSL connection, and I'm assuming that my PCI
ethernet card should be configured as if I had a 'normal' ethernet
connection), which is a Kingston KNE110 uses tulip.c as its driver.
When I compiled tulip.c using the compile command at the end of the
code, I found that it compiled ok, but that I could not load it using
insmod because I got an error that was something like 'tulip.o was
compiled under linux-2.1.24 but your kernel version is 2.0.33'.  Fine.
I figured I needed to update my kernel.  Here is where I started running
into some problems.  MkLinux apparently does not run a "standard" linux
file tree, because under the /usr/src/linux, the only file there is a
directory ./include.  /usr/src/linux is linked to /usr/src/linux-2.1.24,
by the way.  I guess my question is, why does mklinux use this
non-standard format?  What purpose does it serve?  It seems like either
the full directory should be there, or nothing should be there.  This
partial directory tree puzzles me.

Anyway, I decided that I would just get the latest source code and
rebuild the kernel and server, thinking that when I make config I would
be prompted for ethernet device drivers.  Wrong.  There is a prompt for
network devices, but when I select ethernet, no submenu appears.  Does
this mean that tulip, which is included in the distribution, is not
supported?  It appears that nothing is supported, because no further
options appear.  What's going on here?  Any help would be appreciated.

Kernel source for mklinux

Post by Mike Zula » Sat, 04 Mar 2000 04:00:00

DR3 is ancient.  You need to go with the latest sources available from
www.mklinux.org.  They've got it available via CVS.

They might even be supporting your ethernet now - I'm not sure.

Mike

--
Mike Zulauf

Kernel source for mklinux

Post by Tim R » Sat, 11 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> Ok...So I recently installed MkLinux DR3 on my 6500.  The initial
> install went just fine, as far as it goes, but I wanted, of course, to
> get my machine networked.  I did some research and found out that my
> ethernet card (I have a DSL connection, and I'm assuming that my PCI
> ethernet card should be configured as if I had a 'normal' ethernet
> connection), which is a Kingston KNE110 uses tulip.c as its driver.
> When I compiled tulip.c using the compile command at the end of the
> code, I found that it compiled ok, but that I could not load it using
> insmod because I got an error that was something like 'tulip.o was
> compiled under linux-2.1.24 but your kernel version is 2.0.33'.  Fine.
> I figured I needed to update my kernel.  Here is where I started running
> into some problems.  MkLinux apparently does not run a "standard" linux
> file tree, because under the /usr/src/linux, the only file there is a
> directory ./include.  /usr/src/linux is linked to /usr/src/linux-2.1.24,
> by the way.  I guess my question is, why does mklinux use this
> non-standard format?  What purpose does it serve?  It seems like either
> the full directory should be there, or nothing should be there.  This
> partial directory tree puzzles me.

> Anyway, I decided that I would just get the latest source code and
> rebuild the kernel and server, thinking that when I make config I would
> be prompted for ethernet device drivers.  Wrong.  There is a prompt for
> network devices, but when I select ethernet, no submenu appears.  Does
> this mean that tulip, which is included in the distribution, is not
> supported?  It appears that nothing is supported, because no further
> options appear.  What's going on here?  Any help would be appreciated.

mklinux is linux running under the mach microkernel.
also, one reason no submenu appears could be that earlier you made a wrong
choice, maybe the drivers experimental and you told it not to show
experimental drivers?

1. Anyway to recover origianl kernel source from RH6.0-ified kernel-source?

I've just upgraded to Redhat 6.0, mainly for the 2.2 kernel. My problem
is, the kernel-source-2.2.5-15.rpm package distributed on the CD
contains a modified source tree, and the patches from kernel.org fail on
it :(

Is there any way to undo the modifications made by the Redhat team, so
that I can apply the diff patches and move to 2.2.9 without having to
download the whole thing?

patch's manpage says something about reversing operation but I don't
think that is what I need - also, I can't find the patch files that the
RH team used to alter the kernel, except in the src rpm which I would
prefer not to download.

Thanks,

(BTW - we really should create comp.os.linux.development.distributions
or something: it is kind of strange that this is the most 'on-topic'
place to post this message)
--
Jamie Walker,                     http://www.howgarth.demon.co.uk/
LaL Computers: http://lal.rvx.net/ <- for cheap computer hardware.

2. Thanks everyone! [was: Problems with PPP 2.3.4]

3. rh 7.3 kernel source : rpm installed, but no source?

4. dd to backup fat32 drive?

5. Sources for mkLinux newbie help?

6. Linux

7. How/where to get source to build Mklinux/vmlinux?

8. VPN + vpnd + windows.

9. Binary download source for MkLinux Apache

10. Where is the X source for pre-DR3 mkLinux?

11. MkLinux Booter source

12. Making mklinux cd (was mac 6100/66 and mklinux)

13. Installation; problem at MKlinux /MacOS splash screen, after I choose Mklinux system hangs.