two FAQ's not in the FAQ-O-MATIC

Post by Chester L » Fri, 30 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I feel stupid when I used to know an answer but lost it.  ANyway,
I can't find these two in the faq-o-matic:

1)  how do I change the delay in the MkLinux boot dialog?  (I know it's
        done by putting in a variable in lilo or something.)

2)  how do I change X-windows resolutions and bit-depth on the fly?

I'll add the answers to the faq-o-matic if people help out!

thanks,

--

Polymer Science & Engineering       Office: (413) 577-1224
University of Massachusetts

Post by Jerry Quin » Sat, 31 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> I feel stupid when I used to know an answer but lost it.  ANyway,
> I can't find these two in the faq-o-matic:

> 1)  how do I change the delay in the MkLinux boot dialog?  (I know it's
>    done by putting in a variable in lilo or something.)

I scratched around in my files but couldn't find it.  Maybe someone who
remembers all the options can create a README or other doc for it.

Here's the ones I do know for mach_options:
-a                      ask for the bootstrap.conf, pager, vmlinux
-m90                    limit memory to 90 Megs (obsolete)
-k -S 524288000         new memory limit (512M) for large mem machines
video_probe=true        Turn on ATI video probing
bus_speed_hz=<hz value> Set bus speed for machines*up

Quote:> 2)  how do I change X-windows resolutions and bit-depth on the fly?

The current answer is "you can't".  Gary Thomas and others are working on
porting XFree86 (XFreePPC ?) which will provide this feature among others,
including access to the virtual consoles.

--
Jerry Quinn              Tel: (514) 761-8737

Speech Technology Infrastructure

two FAQ's not in the FAQ-O-MATIC

Post by Vinai Roopchansing » Sat, 31 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

To change the boot delay time, you would need to edit the
"MkLinux.prefs" file in your preferences folder.  This is a copy of mine
:-

bootos=MacOS    # Boot to either "MacOS" or "MkLinux"
bootdelay=10    # Seconds to pause at boot dialog.

That delay time is in seconds.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Vinai

Vinai Roopchansingh

The fundamental difference between Unix and the Macintosh operating system
is that Unix was designed to please programmers, whereas the Mac was
designed to please users.  (Windows, on the other hand, was designed to
please accountants, but that's another story.)
                                                (Page 164)

Consistent mediocrity, delivered on a large scale, is much more profitable
than anything on a small scale, no matter how efficient it might be.

                                                (Page 176)

Taken from "The Unix-Haters Handbook."
Never before in the history of the world has such a non-innovative company
made so much money by doing so little for so many people.  I am, of course,
talking about the Microsoft Corporation ...
                                                Personal Observation :-)

1. I see it's a faq, but it's not a faq!

I've searched through dejanews, and seen a lot of people asking the
generally similar question, but nobody is answering it.  So, now it's my
turn to post and ask, hoping that the others have been responded to over
email rather than usenet...   I'm trying to install RedHat 4.2 on a beat up
486 I bought.  I has a 129Mb HDD, 486SX, and 4 megs of ram.  When I boot off
of the RH boot disk I get this message (these are the last lines):

out of memoryVFS: Cannot open root device 08:02

So, my specific question is, what's going on here?  And my general question
is, where would I go to look up the error codes?  i.e., the 02 means IDE
HDD, 06 is a SCSI HDD, 05 is a network card...  whatever.  Is this listed
anywhere??

Thanks a lot, I can't wait to get this running!

-CLC
--

Christopher L. Cook

2. Problem with ftape - would appreciate some help

3. Faq-o-matic gone? moved? ???

4. OS/2 Boot Manager and LILO

5. Enlightenment customization Faq-O-Matic

6. Inkjet printer

7. Linux on PowerPC FAQ-O-Matic Dead?

8. HELP: X setup w/Hercules card & Sony display

9. Announce: Linux-ThinkPad FAQ-O-Matic

10. FAQ FOUND!! Was: Where's the FAQ??

11. OK FAQ not in the FAQ

12. Two Ethernet Card Setting, not works as FAQ says ?

13. Can't find answers in FAQ, asking for advice on two hrdwr quests.