"mount: invalid arguments" during MkLinux install

"mount: invalid arguments" during MkLinux install

Post by Steven G. Johns » Tue, 08 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hello all.  I am trying to install MkLinux DR3 on a second (internal) hard
disk.  Everything seems to go smoothly in the installation until it gets to
the point of formatting and mounting the drive partitions, at which point
it cranks for a while and then gives me the above error.  Up to this point,
the installer seems to recognize the hard disk partitions with no problems.
I have tried a variety of partition schemes, and have tried partitioning
with Drive Setup & pdisk and also with Silverlining.  No luck.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Cordially,
Steven G. Johnson

"mount: invalid arguments" during MkLinux install

Post by Steven G. Johns » Tue, 08 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Whoops, I solved my own problem.  Apparently, MkLinux can't handle
partitions >= 2GB; I was giving it partitions of exactly 2GB in size, and
it croaked (with a wonderfully-informative error message).  Making the
partitions slightly smaller fixed the problem.

Steven

"mount: invalid arguments" during MkLinux install

Post by Kevin Mu? » Sun, 08 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Hello all.  I am trying to install MkLinux DR3 on a second (internal) hard
> disk.  Everything seems to go smoothly in the installation until it gets to
> the point of formatting and mounting the drive partitions, at which point
> it cranks for a while and then gives me the above error.  Up to this point,
> the installer seems to recognize the hard disk partitions with no problems.
> I have tried a variety of partition schemes, and have tried partitioning
> with Drive Setup & pdisk and also with Silverlining.  No luck.

> Does anyone have any suggestions?

> Cordially,
> Steven G. Johnson

When selecting the drive to format within the installer, make sure it has
a * - the default is that it doesn't.

--
Kevin Munoz

1. "mount failed: invalid argument" during install

I'm a relatively new user trying to install Yellow Dog Linux on my 7200,
and everything seems to go smoothly until I select the packages to
install.  It tells me where the install log will go, and then makes the
"ext2 filesystem" or some such.  But then, where I believe it should
start the actual installing of the packages, it instead gives me the
following message: "mount failed: invalid argument."  And it goes back
to the package selection.

Has anybody else seen this before?  Is there a way around it?

Thanks,
bye.

--
Edward Liu
Cognitive Science Undergraduate, UCSD

2. gcj

3. Problems installing on PB G3 - "Mount Failed - Invalid Argument"

4. FreeBSD and Named v4.9.3-REL?

5. On install (Red Hat 5.0) "mount failed: invalid argument" with a Funai E2550UA CD

6. Swap space not being used???

7. On install (Red Hat 5.0) "mount failed: invalid argument" with a Funai

8. how make a new boot floppy?

9. "Mount failed" during Red Hat install of MkLinux - help!

10. Local forwarding with "iptables" gives "invalid arguments"

11. "invalid argument" when trying to mount /dev/cd0c, help !

12. bogus "mount error: Invalid argument" from smbmount?

13. "Mount Failed: Invalid Argument"