Yellow dog video failure on iBook 2 help?

Yellow dog video failure on iBook 2 help?

Post by Seth Gree » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 07:16:34

Hello-

        I just installed YDL 2.0 on my new iBook 2 (the white one).

        When in text mode only the upper 800x600 rectangle of the screen
works.  The bottom has some garbage, then a "mirror" of the video on
top.

        X just draws garbage on the screen.

        The shipping notes with YDL say boot "linux
video=aty128fb:vmode:14"  But this doesn't fix anything for me.

        If I choose nombers other than 14 I get different, but equally poor
results.

        Any help??  I'm pretty miffed that this is happening since the
iBook 2 is on YDL's list of supported hardware.

Seth

Yellow dog video failure on iBook 2 help?

Post by uber » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 15:53:28

They are about to release a new kernel to fix that. Try emailing their
support address. The new kernel won't need any kernel arfs.

-jeramy

Quote:> Hello-

> I just installed YDL 2.0 on my new iBook 2 (the white one).

> When in text mode only the upper 800x600 rectangle of the screen
> works.  The bottom has some garbage, then a "mirror" of the video on
> top.

> X just draws garbage on the screen.

> The shipping notes with YDL say boot "linux
> video=aty128fb:vmode:14"  But this doesn't fix anything for me.

> If I choose nombers other than 14 I get different, but equally poor
> results.

> Any help??  I'm pretty miffed that this is happening since the
> iBook 2 is on YDL's list of supported hardware.

> Seth

Yellow dog video failure on iBook 2 help?

or build a new kernel

Post by uber » Sun, 03 Jun 2001 12:30:58

> or build a new kernel

The patches are pushed yet. Plus, there are some other nice patches in
their 2.2.19 kernel you will not have if you do that.

-uber

Yellow dog video failure on iBook 2 help?

Post by r » Mon, 04 Jun 2001 02:45:56

Seth,

If you have access to another machine try building a 2.4 kernel from BenH's
tree. It works perfectly on my iBook 2. If not send me an email and I'll try
to help.

Ram

1. Yellow Dog video fails on iBook 2

Hello-

        I just got YDL2.0 today and installed it on my iBook 2 (the new
white one).

        Text mode works on the upper 800-600 rectangle of the screen with
part of the top also displayed on the bottom with some garbage.

        X doesn't work at all (screen just filled with junk).

        The shipping notes say try "linux video=aty128fb:vmode:14"

        Any help?  Using other video modes besides 14 makes different color
junk on the screen, so I know that the kernel is listening to the
video argument, but I can't get any better results :(

Seth

2. Workshop 5.0 patch problem

3. iBook / Yellow Dog Linux

4. Advice on video cards

5. Installing yellow dog 2.1 on the new ibook

6. mySQL quick example??

7. iBook & Yellow Dog Linux????

8. Support for "mode" parameter in ramfs

9. Confused and Distressed - Yellow DOg won't install on 14.1" iBook

10. help-video with twin turbo, or voodoo 3 2000, pci and yellow dog on J700

11. Help on RS/6000 and Yellow DOG

12. Newbie needs Yellow Dog Linux help

13. help with yellow dog linux//