YDL/xfs (X) question

Post by A S Hode » Sat, 10 Feb 2001 03:51:59

I am using YDL 1.2, kernel 2.2.17-something or other (latest release from
yup).
I seem to have mangled my configuration so that I cannot use X unless I am
connected
to an ethernet cable.  Symptoms: when booting as a stand-alone machine,
three daemon
processes take a long time to start:

- sendmail (which I need to turn off anyway),
- xfs,and
- linuxconf (which I think I may want to turn off too).

When logged in, I type in startx and simply wait.  Nothing happens until I
press CTRL-C, and
then I am returned to the Linux prompt.  I don't know enough about these
processes to give
a more intelligent problem description, so if further detail is needed, feel
free to tell
me what details are required.

Any help here would be much appreciated.

--
A S Hodel Assoc. Prof. Dept Elec. Comp. Eng.  Auburn Univ, AL 36849-5201
(334) 844-1854 Fax -1809 http://www.eng.auburn.edu/~scotte

YDL/xfs (X) question

Post by John Dot » Fri, 09 Feb 2001 20:00:36

> + I am using YDL 1.2, kernel 2.2.17-something or other (latest release
> from
> + yup).
> + I seem to have mangled my configuration so that I cannot use X unless
> I am
> + connected
> + to an ethernet cable.  Symptoms: when booting as a stand-alone
> machine,
> + three daemon
> + processes take a long time to start:
> +
> + - sendmail (which I need to turn off anyway),
> + - xfs,and
> + - linuxconf (which I think I may want to turn off too).

> you can turn off all of the above once you get into X.

Yeah, but xfs is kind of essential. I've seen this problem on my Powerbook
2400: when I'm on batteries I don't even have a NIC, since I unplug the
(power hungry) PCMCIA card.

The basic problem appears to be that these services look up the IP address
of their own host by name. This can be a problem for standalone machines
or even DHCP machines. The solution is to add the host name to /etc/hosts
as an alias for "localhost" (the loopback IP address). Here's the
/etc/hosts for my powerbook ("chisai"):

127.0.0.1               chisai localhost localhost.localdomain

The name you add should be what your "hostname" command returns.

With this setup, services on my powerbook can always get an IP address for
it even if there's no NIC, or if DNS thinks its name is

--
| John Doty             "You can't confuse me, that's my job."

1. After / moved from XFS to JFS : "error 22 mounting xfs flags"...

On Mandrake 9.1

I mirrored hda to hdb using "rsync -archive -H". hdb is a mirror of
hda with exactly the same ext3 boot partiton, swap partition and root
partition numbers. Only change is the root filesystem type.

I flipped the IDE master/slave so hda and hdb were swapped, then,
using the rescue disk, I mounted the ext3 boot partition and the new
JFS root partition, chroot and re-ran Lilo with fstab modified to
reflect root now being JFS.

However, when I try to boot I get...
mount: error 22 mounting XFS flags  Kernel panic: No init found. Try
passing init= option to kernel.

How do I convince this kernel that it should be looking for a JFS root
partition not an XFS partition???

I've modified fstab, re-ran Lilo chrooted, re-ran mkinitrd chrooted
with /proc/mounts audited and placed in the proc directory (proc is
otherwise empty when you chroot!, unless I mount --bind it first).

A search on Google found just one other soul who has reported this
message. He deleted an XFS partition and made a new ReiserFS partition
but no one had responded to his hideous plight :-(

Anyone know how to do a successful filesystem transplant without
losing the root filesystem?

2. Why I love Linux

3. XFS - Serving Multiple OS fonts on linux xfs

4. Questions on access on some remote files

5. xfs + KDE slow startup: bug in RH8 /etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs ?

6. Problem compiling KDE apps

7. oops in 2.4.14-xfs (xfs release 1.0.2)

8. Fifo app?

9. xfs problems ; xfs fails to start properly.??

10. 2.4.18-xfs (xfs related?) oops report

11. Upgrading YDL 2.2 -> YDL 2.3

12. YDL 2.2 Upgrade to YDL 2.3

13. Can I replace ydl 2.1 with ydl 2.3