LinuxPPC-lite color-depth 9500/200

Post by Henrik Otterstr? » Sun, 06 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Just dl'ed LinuxPPC-lite and installed it on a PowerMac 9500/200.
Everything worked perfectly and the system booted into KDE. But it
seems as if I only have 4 colors on the screen. Wich kernel arguments
can I pass to set the color-depth? Any other way of solving this?

I am using BootX and its great - no more fiddling with OF...

TIA,
Henrik.

LinuxPPC-lite color-depth 9500/200

Post by Jim William » Mon, 07 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Just dl'ed LinuxPPC-lite and installed it on a PowerMac 9500/200.
>Everything worked perfectly and the system booted into KDE. But it
>seems as if I only have 4 colors on the screen. Wich kernel arguments
>can I pass to set the color-depth? Any other way of solving this?

>I am using BootX and its great - no more fiddling with OF...

On most machines, just check the "No video driver" box in BootX and KDE
will inherit whatever video settings you had made under MacOS. Don't know
if this will work on your 9500 as it's one of the few models with no
built-in video, but might be worth a try if you haven't done so already...

Post by Henrik Otterstr? » Mon, 07 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>>Just dl'ed LinuxPPC-lite and installed it on a PowerMac 9500/200.
>>Everything worked perfectly and the system booted into KDE. But it
>>seems as if I only have 4 colors on the screen. Wich kernel arguments
>>can I pass to set the color-depth? Any other way of solving this?

>>I am using BootX and its great - no more fiddling with OF...

>On most machines, just check the "No video driver" box in BootX and KDE
>will inherit whatever video settings you had made under MacOS. Don't know
>if this will work on your 9500 as it's one of the few models with no
>built-in video, but might be worth a try if you haven't done so already...

Well, I've done that - Linux won't show anything on the screen if the
"No video driver" is not used. It seems as if Linux does recognize the
correct colordepth - I can set the colordepth from the shell, KDE just
don't use more than 4 colors? Is there some way to set the color-depth
KDE should use?

Regards,
Henrik.

1. Install LinuxPPC on 9500/200

Hello,

        Another guy wich can't install mklinux on mac: :-)

        On fridy I got the ftp.linuxppc.org/devel/RedHad tree and print the new
install guide.

        after reading it I download the MacOS specific installer.coff.
        I set the boot var as writen

        The mac boot off the floppy, and the scree still black.
        I can't use the OF thing: I see only black screen and even if I specify
'kbd' as input-device, nothings append.

        My ati gfx gard are only those supplyed with the mac, so what ?
        I have a PC-Multisync monitor which work perfectly and transparently
using MacOS.

        Anybody had any idea ?

Thanks.

S.R.

2. Hardware Advice Please!

3. Using ProMax ATA/33 PCI controller on 9500 with LinuxPPC 2000

4. Latest $VIRUS-VECTOR worm -- NWFUSION.com

5. video card for 9500 and ( MkLinux or LinuxPPC )

6. Welcome to comp.unix.programmer (v1.16)

7. Can't install LinuxPPC on G3 upgraded 9500

8. Accessing physical addresses from the kernel on ARM

9. video settings for linuxppc on powermac 9500

10. 9500 CD Not working with LinuxPPC

11. setting color depth on Blade 100 with Expert 3D lite card

12. Linuxppc-lite and MacOS HD

13. components file in linuxppc-lite