LinuxPPC/2000 boot problem on 7200/90

Post by Kevin Michael Vai » Sun, 01 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Earlier this year I installed LinuxPPC/2000 on an old PowerMac 7200/90.
I'm not using the graphic stuff, the computer just sits in the corner
and works as the mail server for vailstar.com, and as my test web server
on the intranet.  I had rebooted several times while getting it set up
the way I wanted it, and then left it alone.

It had been up for almost four months before I did something stupid and
had to restart it.  I'd been running it "headless" (no monitor or
keyboard) and I stupidly did something to bring networking down.  Well,
no problem, I thought...I'll just power it off and on again.  Only it
didn't start up, it went into a loop where it would "bong", work the
hard disk for a few seconds and go silent, then "bong" again after three
minutes.  I finally hooked up a monitor and keyboard to discover that
was getting a kernel panic, saying "no init!".

I finally got it to boot by booting from a MacOS CD and running the
"Boot Linux" control panel and adding "init = /sbin/init" to the kernel
options, and telling it the root is /dev/sdb6.  But it used to know
this.  I originally followed the instructions to get it to boot
automatically into LinuxPPC (creating the /boot partition, etc.)...where
is this information stored, and how do I put it back without
re-installing?  The files in the /boot partition don't seem to contain
anything that would control this.

Puzzled,
Kevin
--
Kevin Michael Vail | a billion stars go spinning through the night,

. . . . . . . . .  | But _in_ you is the presence that
 . . . . . . . . . | will be, when all the stars are dead.  (Rainer Maria Rilke)

Post by Michael Schmit » Mon, 02 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> It had been up for almost four months before I did something stupid and
> had to restart it.  I'd been running it "headless" (no monitor or
> keyboard) and I stupidly did something to bring networking down.  Well,
> no problem, I thought...I'll just power it off and on again.  Only it
> didn't start up, it went into a loop where it would "bong", work the
> hard disk for a few seconds and go silent, then "bong" again after three
> minutes.  I finally hooked up a monitor and keyboard to discover that
> was getting a kernel panic, saying "no init!".

> I finally got it to boot by booting from a MacOS CD and running the
> "Boot Linux" control panel and adding "init = /sbin/init" to the kernel
> options, and telling it the root is /dev/sdb6.  But it used to know
> this.  I originally followed the instructions to get it to boot
> automatically into LinuxPPC (creating the /boot partition, etc.)...where
> is this information stored, and how do I put it back without
> re-installing?  The files in the /boot partition don't seem to contain
> anything that would control this.

Depends on what exactly you used to boot before - apparently not BootX
because that seems to have worked (just telling BootX root is on sdb6
should be enough).

yaboot won't work on that hardware I think, so it's probably been quik
or miboot, search the linuxppc.org FAQs and mailing list archives for
these bootstrap programs. Or use BootX ...

        Michael