yaboot boot script problem

Post by So Hok Chun, Bil » Mon, 24 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Dear All,

I followed the instructions found in the YD Linux installation manual
(downloaded from YD Linux website) to write the boot script for yaboot.

I found several problems in the script.  Amended those mistakes (enclosed by
<< and >>).  Still I cannot create the dual boot effect.  My iMac DV booted
into linux automatically without asking me to boot the which OS.

Of course, I followed the instructions to the Open Firmware for dual boot.
Here's what I entered: setenv boot-device hd:8,\bootinfo.txt (bootinfo.txt
is the file name of my boot script)

The following is the boot script:

<CHRP-BOOT>
<COMPATIBLE>
iMac,1 PowerMac1,1 PowerBook1,1 PowerMac2,1 PowerMac3,1 PowerBook2,1
</COMPATIBLE>
<DESCRIPTION>
Yellow Dog Linux Bootloader
</DESCRIPTION>
<BOOT-SCRIPT>
" get-key-map" " keyboard" open-dev $call-method
dup 20 dump

" Booting MacOS ..." cr " boot hd:8,\\:tbxi" eval
else
" Booting Yellow Dog Linux ..." cr " boot hd:8,\yaboot.tbxi" eval
then
</BOOT-SCRIPT>
</CHRP-BOOT>

Did I do sth wrong?  BTW, where can I find more info on writing the boot
script?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Bill

-- Contact information --
So Hok Chun, Bill / The University of Hong Kong, Computer Engineering

Homepage: http://www.hku.hk/h9911807

1. Dual-boot script for Yaboot not working

I downloaded the ybin 0.16 package from Ethan Benson site and wanted to
use the menu_ofboot.b chrp script to switch from Linux to MacOs pressing
the space bar at startup. Unfortunately this has no effect and I always
boot in Linux, and if I want to come back to MacOs I have to zap the
Pram. Does somebody know if there are any limitations to the use of this
script with non-US keyboard (my it's an Italian one) and eventually how
to change the lines I suspect to refer to the keyboard input button:

dup 20 dump

Any help will be appreciated.
Bye.
--
          "And what can I tell you my brother, my killer
           What can I possibly say?

              L. Cohen, "Famous blue raincoat"

2. FreeBSD-current on Vaio-Z505LS

3. YDL 2.0 and Yaboot -- Problem Dual Booting with Mac OS

4. XF86Config question

5. Problem booting a B&W G3 using yaboot

6. automount listing

7. yaboot/yaboot.conf?

8. Problem With MT Command

9. I messed up yaboot and OF-need boot help

10. Yaboot can boot PB1999 now thanks to ATI?

11. direct Booting Pmac9500, yaboot,Voodoo3?

12. Help: yaboot can't find boot device (Mandrake)

13. Suse 7.0 for PowerPC on B&W G3 400 yaboot problem