dumping one Mac OS hd to another a la dump/restore

dumping one Mac OS hd to another a la dump/restore

Post by Pagonis Joh » Tue, 04 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hi,
I have a second hand Mac which has a small HD with some very cool sw
which I want to keep, but it physically takes space in my 7500 box.
Is there any way to dump and restore the small disk in a larger one
using just Mac OS functionality (I need this so that I can install linux
on a third HD which is sitting on my desk :-( ) ?

cheers.

dumping one Mac OS hd to another a la dump/restore

Post by Pagonis Joh » Tue, 04 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> > Hi,
> > I have a second hand Mac which has a small HD with some very cool sw
> > which I want to keep, but it physically takes space in my 7500 box.
> > Is there any way to dump and restore the small disk in a larger one
> > using just Mac OS functionality (I need this so that I can install linux
> > on a third HD which is sitting on my desk :-( ) ?

> Yes, the MacOS functionality is called "drag-and-drop."

..errr and wull this allow me to boot from this new HD without having the
original one present (and after setting this new one to bootable of course) ?

Post by John Fishe » Thu, 06 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> > Yes, the MacOS functionality is called "drag-and-drop."

> ..errr and wull this allow me to boot from this new HD without having the
> original one present (and after setting this new one to bootable of course) ?

Yes.  This is my favorite mode of backup and restore, ever ;-)  "Select
all" is your friend!

John

1. unix dump: dumped twice to same dumpfile; restore if file displays only last dump

-rw-r--r--    1 root     root     554221568 Nov 22 16:07 /mnt/cc/cc

restore > ls
.:
System.map              grub/                   map
System.map-2.4.8-26mdk  kernel.h                message
boot.0300               kernel.h-2.4.8          os2_d.b
boot.b                  lilo                    us.klt
chain.b                 lilo-graphic/           vmlinuz
config                  lilo-menu/              vmlinuz-2.4.8-26mdk
config-2.4.8-26mdk      lilo-text/

That's a mighty big filesize for /boot which i know to be 23 MB.
So i must assume that the first dump (of / ) is still there.
But restore only lets me see the latest dump (on top of that "layer")

Anyone ever encounter this and recover the first dump?

cave jabberwockum

2. IDE caching controllers with Linux??

3. Help with dump/restore ("Tape is not a dump tape")

4. Q: compiling with Motif 1.2.4

5. Dump/Restore problem: multiple dumps per Travan 5 tape

6. FInger

7. Star, a new OS/filesystem independent incremental dump/restore system

8. Broken make modules_install in Kernel 2.4.0test11?

9. dump and restore between OS's?

10. help. restoring a backup dump/restore

11. 'r' option of restore (dump/restore)

12. how to dump core on Perl script and resurrect a-la emacs style?

13. SuSE 7.1/Apple Mac/La Cie HD