Can one print with Linux??

Post by Nikk » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 00:11:28

Hi, and now I have your attention...!

Sorry about the silly header, but I'm having problems. I'm running
Debian 2.1 on an SE/30, and two 7300s, one with Debian 3.0 and the
other with LinuxPPC 2000. I'm learning reasonably fast but there are
two problems on which I'm making no progress at all:

1: None of the Macs seems interested in printing. In each case the
entry in /proc/devices ("6  lp") is missing. I've combed the Printing
HOWTO but there's no mention of what to do when the kernel doesn't have
that driver. I have a couple of books but they too don't seem to cater
for that missing item.  I've managed to get spooling, and the files I
send go to the right places but they can't find the printer (no mention
of it and 'polling' in the boot messages).

Am I doing something wrong at installation time?  Does there have to be
a printer connected and turned on while the kernel is being configured?
Is that what the mysterious 'Drivers' section of the installer is for
(it doesn't mention printers)?

also...

2: I think I set one of the keyboards up wrong at installation, because
it won't give me a pipe | or a \. This is serious, both for shell stuff
and also I can't write any code!  I tried running /usr/sbin/base-config
but it doesn't give me an option to reconfigure the keyboard, and I
can't find any manpages, help, info.

All and any advice gratefully accepted, even flames and blames - I'm
that stuck!

Hoping someone can help

Nikki

Can one print with Linux??

Post by Lars Grob » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 05:25:30

Hi!

Hmmm... there are some levels of software involved here. You need a driver
only for the hardware, e.g. the parallel interface. This can be compiled
into the kernel or as a module (modprobe lp).

Than, there is the printing system, which uses a filter to produce the data
your printer expects from the one your application creates, e.g to get PCL
from Postscript. And all this is handled by the spooler (lprng, cups, ...)
and finally send out to a file, the parallel port, a network printer...

So, if you have printers attached to parallel ports, try to load lp.o.

CU, Lars.

Can one print with Linux??

Post by S├ębastien Mengi » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 07:20:21

Le lun 23 jun 03 15:11, Nikki a crit:

Quote:> Hi, and now I have your attention...!

> 2: I think I set one of the keyboards up wrong at installation, because
> it won't give me a pipe | or a \. This is serious, both for shell stuff
> and also I can't write any code!  I tried running /usr/sbin/base-config
> but it doesn't give me an option to reconfigure the keyboard, and I
> can't find any manpages, help, info.

I had the same problem on my pbook G3 lombard running debian 3.0

The only way I found to have all characters is to switch into console
mode, on tty1 for
example, (doing alt + ctrl + fn + F1 **in this order**), then relog. There the keymap
is all right. I thought it might be the same for you...

I admitt I would rather have it when I use the Xserver but I never found
how to configure it properly.

Hope it helps...

--
Sbastien

Can one print with Linux??

Post by Nikk » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 20:53:07

> Le lun 23 jun 03 15:11, Nikki a crit:
> > Hi, and now I have your attention...!

Thanks Lars, but I have one serial port printer and one usb (Mac). I
can find lp 0, and have created a spool, but no module. I'll consult
more books!

Et merci Sbastien, je tenterai de faire votre mthode.  J'avais trois
Macs; celui-ci peut faire tous les caractres [?] - a bient?t...

Nikki