Automatic Backups -- or automatic in general. :)

Automatic Backups -- or automatic in general. :)

Post by patri » Thu, 03 May 2001 18:34:39

I'd like my LinuxPPC system, running Kernel 2.2.18 (RedHat distribution) to
be able to do (incremental) backups on its own at 4:00AM, a la Restrospect
Express on the Mac side.  The preferred format of storage would be bzip2'd
tarballs, saved to either my CD-RW or a Zip250.

Is there any way to reliabaly do this?  I'm assuming I have to start up some
"infinite" process in the background during the startup phase.

Also, what kind of permissions would I need to access the Zip250/CD-RW for
*writing*?  Would a simple

        chmod g=rwx /dev/cdrw
        chgrp backup /dev/cdrw

work, and I could assign the backup process to group "backup"?  Or do
background processes usually run as ROOT?

TIA!

-patrick

--

http://www.tendim.cjb.net/
Like anime?   Got hotline?

1. Automatic backups

Hello all

I have a system that is:
SCO Unix ODT 3.0 System V release 4

I need to perform an automatic backup for some directories.
I thought I could write a script to perfom a 'tar xvf' to a tape drive,
and running it at 3.00 AM.
How do I run a script at a specific hour and without logging in?

Is there any free software that does what I want?

Thanks in advance

2. SLIP/PPP Calls to NT

3. automatic backups on a Solaris machine -- How?

4. Installing over a network

5. Automatic backup to tape

6. Slackware 7.1, Linux2.2.16, AC_97 Codec

7. automatic connection with backup lines

8. Help! : no route to host problem

9. Making a automatic backup on a system always at use.

10. Automatic backup

11. Jaz drive for automatic backup.

12. Automatic backup for SAMBA-shared files

13. automatic backup