How to pass from XF86_FBDev to Xpmac?

Post by Riccardo Gus » Sat, 26 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I've an iMac rev.B and I've installed YellowDog Linux; since I' ve
strange colour effects with the default xserver of this distribution,
that is XF86_FBDev I would like to try Xpmac. I downloaded the last
version Xpmac.rage128.usb.rev9 and followed the instructiond founded in
a FAQ, that is to move "mv XF86_FBDev to XF86_FBDev.old" an link the new
with "ln -s Xpmac.rage128.usb.rev9 XF86_FBDev" but I got fatal errors
and X didn't run. So I've some questions:

1) Is it possible to use Xpmac.rage128.usb.rev9 in my iMac thah has only
an Ati Rage Pro or I have to use some other versions of Xpmac?

2)What is ther correc procedure to install it?

3) Sould I have to make some changes in BootX?

4)BTW, is it possible to select the window and desktop manager by
passing some arguments to the command "startx"? (by default startx
launchs Gnome with Enlightenment; I've read several man pages but didn't
discovered how to get into KDE !)

Thanks a lot to everyone who will have the patience to answer to me!
Bye.

 Rick

Post by John Fishe » Sat, 26 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> I've an iMac rev.B and I've installed YellowDog Linux; since I' ve
> strange colour effects with the default xserver of this distribution,
> that is XF86_FBDev I would like to try Xpmac. I downloaded the last
> version Xpmac.rage128.usb.rev9 and followed the instructiond founded in
> a FAQ, that is to move "mv XF86_FBDev to XF86_FBDev.old" an link the new
> with "ln -s Xpmac.rage128.usb.rev9 XF86_FBDev" but I got fatal errors
> and X didn't run. So I've some questions:

Those are strange instructions.  Don't change your XF68_FBDev file.
Just put the new Xpmac in /usr/X11/bin, make sure it's executable for
root, and then 'ln -sf /usr/X11/bin/Xpmac.rage128.usb.rev9 /etc/X11/X'.
That's all you have to do.

Quote:> 1) Is it possible to use Xpmac.rage128.usb.rev9 in my iMac thah has only
> an Ati Rage Pro or I have to use some other versions of Xpmac?

Xpmac works fine with the RAGE Pro.

Quote:> 3) Sould I have to make some changes in BootX?

BootX is not related to this.  If you want to use your video card as
your framebuffer device, though, you could use 'video=atyfb' as a kernel
arg.  But you can do this with FBDev too.

Quote:> 4)BTW, is it possible to select the window and desktop manager by
> passing some arguments to the command "startx"? (by default startx
> launchs Gnome with Enlightenment; I've read several man pages but didn't
> discovered how to get into KDE !)

Maybe.  I've never tried to do this.  Take a look at
/etc/X11/xinit/Xclients.

John

How to pass from XF86_FBDev to Xpmac?

Post by MacPia » Sun, 27 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>TW, is it possible to select the window and desktop manager by
>> passing some arguments to the command "startx"? (by default startx
>> launchs Gnome with Enlightenment; I've read several man pages but didn't

Piece of cake. Just go to x when you get in and type switchdesk in a terminal.
There you get your choice with a little graphical program. logout of x and when
you go back you get the manager that you want.

Post by NK » Sun, 27 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> > I've an iMac rev.B and I've installed YellowDog Linux; since I' ve
> > strange colour effects with the default xserver of this distribution,
> > that is XF86_FBDev I would like to try Xpmac. I downloaded the last
> > version Xpmac.rage128.usb.rev9 and followed the instructiond founded in
> > a FAQ, that is to move "mv XF86_FBDev to XF86_FBDev.old" an link the new
> > with "ln -s Xpmac.rage128.usb.rev9 XF86_FBDev" but I got fatal errors
> > and X didn't run. So I've some questions:

> Those are strange instructions.  Don't change your XF68_FBDev file.
> Just put the new Xpmac in /usr/X11/bin, make sure it's executable for
> root, and then 'ln -sf /usr/X11/bin/Xpmac.rage128.usb.rev9 /etc/X11/X'.
> That's all you have to do.

Actually, that would be : "mv Xpmac to Xpmac.old". Then make
Xpmac.rage128.usb.rev9 executable. Then do: "ln -sf
/usr/X11R6/bin/Xpmac.rage128.usb.rev9 X".

NKrinis

Post by John Fishe » Sun, 27 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> Actually, that would be : "mv Xpmac to Xpmac.old". Then make
> Xpmac.rage128.usb.rev9 executable. Then do: "ln -sf
> /usr/X11R6/bin/Xpmac.rage128.usb.rev9 X".

> NKrinis

Why?  This is my setup:

$ ls -l /usr/X11/bin/Xpmac*
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root     root      3372208 Sep 26 21:14 /usr/X11/bin/Xpmac
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root     root      3762427 Feb 15 21:59
/usr/X11/bin/Xpmac.rage128.usb.rev9

$ ls -l /usr/X11/bin/X
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            8 Feb 15 22:55 /usr/X11/bin/X ->
Xwrapper

$ ls -l /etc/X11/X
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           35 Feb 18 17:55 /etc/X11/X ->
/usr/X11/bin/Xpmac.rage128.usb.rev9

There are lots of additional things one could do that will not break X,
but, starting from a clean install, all one needs to do is make one
link.

John

Post by Riccardo Gus » Mon, 28 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> > I've an iMac rev.B and I've installed YellowDog Linux; since I' ve
> > strange colour effects with the default xserver of this distribution,
> > that is XF86_FBDev I would like to try Xpmac. I downloaded the last
> > version Xpmac.rage128.usb.rev9 and followed the instructiond founded in
> > a FAQ, that is to move "mv XF86_FBDev to XF86_FBDev.old" an link the new
> > with "ln -s Xpmac.rage128.usb.rev9 XF86_FBDev" but I got fatal errors
> > and X didn't run. So I've some questions:

> Those are strange instructions.  Don't change your XF68_FBDev file.
> Just put the new Xpmac in /usr/X11/bin, make sure it's executable for
> root, and then 'ln -sf /usr/X11/bin/Xpmac.rage128.usb.rev9 /etc/X11/X'.
> That's all you have to do.

> > 1) Is it possible to use Xpmac.rage128.usb.rev9 in my iMac thah has only
> > an Ati Rage Pro or I have to use some other versions of Xpmac?

> Xpmac works fine with the RAGE Pro.

I followed your instructions, but the result it's the same:
here's the errors I get:
failed to set default font path '/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc,
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo,
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1,
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi,
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi'
Fatal server error: could not open default font 'fixed'
snd thec the connection to x server brokes.
Any other suggestions will be very much appreciated.
Thanks to everybody.

Bye

1. Xpmac vs XF86_FBDev

okay my 2 cents on these 2, Xpmac so much easier to use its great it even
lets me use my Contour Unimouse (Xpmac rev.9 that is) and FBDev? forget that
it exists its a pain in the ass and I have never gotten it to work right and
it sucks hehe.  And on the subject of Xpmac how would I pass arguments to it
via bootX or what is the config file to add arguments to it during its boot
up? I gotta slow my mouse down its too fast.  KDE doesnt slow it down enough
so I figured I can pass the mouse args. to Xpmac some way.

2. IP Masquerading

3. passing args to Xpmac

4. Stupid Virtual Desktop!

5. how to get ati mach64 accelerated with XF86_FBDev ?

6. smbmount: Permission problem

7. Problem with kernel-fb-2.2.9-27mdk.rpm and XF86_FBDev server.

8. Computer Music with Linux

9. Virtual Screens with XF86_FBDEV?

10. Unable to use XF86_FBDev

11. pb XF86_FBDev