Help a linux-pmac user try Mklinux

Post by Nasser Mohieddin Abukhdei » Thu, 05 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Excerpts from netnews.comp.os.linux.powerpc: 5-Feb-98 Help a linux-pmac

Quote:> I'm trying to boot Mklinux over a working linux-pmac installation.
> I have this in /mach_servers:

> default_pager
> name_server
> vmlinux

> And it chokes on the name_server thingie upon boot.  I got this stuff
> from various sources (vmlinux and default_pager from wip, and name_server
> from some Mklinux site).  Needless to say, since I have a wonderfully
> good linux-pmac system, I don't want to have to install the full Mklinux
> installation over it just to try Mklinux.

I'm pretty sure you need to have the Mach Kernel installed on the Mac
end of your system.  Matter o fact, the Mkbooter is another essential in
the process.  I don't think what your are doing is possible, could be
wrong though.
                                                    Nasr

<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->
Nasr Abukhdeir                  http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/nasser

412-862-2136

Post by Jason » Fri, 06 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>Excerpts from netnews.comp.os.linux.powerpc: 5-Feb-98 Help a linux-pmac

>> I'm trying to boot Mklinux over a working linux-pmac installation.
>> I have this in /mach_servers:

>> default_pager
>> name_server
>> vmlinux

>> And it chokes on the name_server thingie upon boot.  I got this stuff
>> from various sources (vmlinux and default_pager from wip, and name_server
>> from some Mklinux site).  Needless to say, since I have a wonderfully
>> good linux-pmac system, I don't want to have to install the full Mklinux
>> installation over it just to try Mklinux.

>I'm pretty sure you need to have the Mach Kernel installed on the Mac
>end of your system.  Matter o fact, the Mkbooter is another essential in
>the process.  I don't think what your are doing is possible, could be
>wrong though.

I've got that stuff too.

1. Help a linux-pmac user try Mklinux

I'm trying to boot Mklinux over a working linux-pmac installation.
I have this in /mach_servers:

default_pager
name_server
vmlinux

And it chokes on the name_server thingie upon boot.  I got this stuff
from various sources (vmlinux and default_pager from wip, and name_server
from some Mklinux site).  Needless to say, since I have a wonderfully
good linux-pmac system, I don't want to have to install the full Mklinux
installation over it just to try Mklinux.

Any tips?  The vmlinux and default_pager are the most recent wips.  I tell
it to use 'builtin' for the configuration (or whatever...)  I'm running a
PowerBase 180 (with IDE drive); the Mach booter seems to have no problems
with the IDE bus.  This is probably a brain-dead question, I know.

2. Which Intelligent Serial Card is supported?

3. routing, dhcpcd, linux-pmac 2.1.24 and mklinux 2.1u6

4. Kerberos/Athena sources for Linux?

5. from MkLinux to linux-pmac (alt-gr)

6. Locking a file over NFS

7. MkLinux verses Linux-pmac

8. Vivitron 1776 monitor

9. MachTen Vs Mklinux or linux-pmac

10. Announcing Java, Sun JDK 1.1.3 Port to MkLinux, Linux-PMac, LinuxPPC

11. mklinux (linux pmac), french keyboard & Performa 5400

12. ISDN on PMac under Linux/PPC/MkLinux

13. PMac mklinux netatalk 1.33