Getting closer...

Post by Eric Beaver » Sat, 19 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I'm really getting close to having stuff working again :) That means
that I'll soon be able to get to work on my LinuxPPP_1999 for Power
Center Pro docs and my news page. Sorry it's been lagging but I have a
lot going on right now (outside of Linux as well). I'm working on
getting a new job. Wish me luck ;)

BTW, some common problems that I have working now...

Mouse Button Emulation...
Put adb_buttons=1,103,111 in the kernel arguments of BootX. This should
make F11 the middle click and F12 the right click. F11 seems to have
most of the functionality right now so I might have that backwards.
*shrug*

Video...
This strongly depends on your hardware. I have the ATI Mach 64 chipset
and 4mb VRAM. Putting video=atyfb:vmode:16,cmode:16 in the kernel args
puts me at 1024x768 at 16-bit color. However, if I switch to a virtual
terminal and switch back to X my colors are all funky. I have to log out
and log back into X to correct it (for now).

Hope this helps some of you move along :)
--
Get your PowerPC Linux news!!!
http://beelers.home.mindspring.com

Getting closer...

Post by Justin M. Trembla » Sun, 20 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Wow, someone with 2 out of 3 of the same problems I'm having. Let's try for
3 for 3: does your printer actually print? 8^)

I have an Epson Stylus Color 600. All I get is a page full of apostrophes.
(Although thats more than I get with BeOS....it locks up whenever I try to
print! And I just got R4.5, a free upgrade, yesterday, and they still didn't
fix it.  Sheesh.)

Justin M. Tremblay
----------

Post by Eric Beaver » Sun, 20 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> Wow, someone with 2 out of 3 of the same problems I'm having. Let's try for
> 3 for 3: does your printer actually print? 8^)

> I have an Epson Stylus Color 600. All I get is a page full of apostrophes.
> (Although thats more than I get with BeOS....it locks up whenever I try to
> print! And I just got R4.5, a free upgrade, yesterday, and they still didn't
> fix it.  Sheesh.)

> Justin M. Tremblay
> ----------

> >Subject: Re: Getting closer...
> >Date: Fri, Jun 18, 1999, 10:32 PM

> >> I get that same problem (same chipset.) Any idea why that is? Pass along any
> >> fixes if you get them!

> >> ----------

> > ya mean the video?

> > I'm also having sound probs. Sometimes wav's will work (right after I
> > boot) but soon turn to static.
> > --
> > Get your PowerPC Linux news!!!
> > http://beelers.home.mindspring.com

I haven't gotten to the printer stuff yet. control-panel was what I used
in r4.1 but it doesn't see my printer in r5. Guess we'll have to learn
to edit the printcap by hand :/
--
Get your PowerPC Linux news!!!
http://beelers.home.mindspring.com

1. Pre Login Message - getting closer

Searching the documentation gives the hint that the file /etc/issue
can cause that file to be printed as a login prompt. How to get this
to work is another matter. Any clues, please?

Mark Baker                             Phone: +61 9 4916081
Network Computer Centre                Fax:   +61 9 2212560

2. tcp_wrapper

3. Cnews - getting closer - still need help!

4. catman

5. Logitech Track Man 3-Button (PS/2) and Metro-X <Getting closer I think>

6. text colors

7. Parity error on old Zeniths (getting closer)

8. Linux on a notebook

9. Image files for icons and backgrounds won't load in Windowmaker - getting closer...

10. FreeBSD-current --- wooee elf getting closer

11. Getting closer but ARGH!! it keeps blowing up

12. Getting Closer... 500au/RedHat 7.1

13. Getting closer with ISDN PPP (only 23 years to go)