Buying PowerPC parts

Post by Frank Samuelso » Fri, 28 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I'm looking for a place to buy a PowerPC motherboard and CPU to upgrade
my system.  Where can I look?  I want to run linux on it, so I don't want
some MacIncrash board.
Essentially this is a repost of:

Quote:> Is there a place where I can get a motherboard (or bare bones system)
> that has a decent number of PCI slots and minimal amount of built-in
> *(I don't need that damn video in!!).  I don't like getting
> preconfigured system (They are usually a rip off-and not what I want).

If the PowerPC is not available, it will never be big, even if it
does kick Pentium's butt.

Buying PowerPC parts

Post by Nick Cos » Sat, 29 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> I'm looking for a place to buy a PowerPC motherboard and CPU to upgrade
> my system.  Where can I look?  I want to run linux on it, so I don't want
> some MacIncrash board.

Speaking of which, I wanted to ask whether any processor daughtercards for
the UMAX C600 series are being produced. The "feature", as advertised,
enabled quick, inexpensive, painless upgrades to future processors.
Unfortunately, I've yet to see one. Any insight?

Nick

Buying PowerPC parts

Post by Phillip D. Sande » Tue, 01 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> > I'm looking for a place to buy a PowerPC motherboard and CPU to upgrade
> > my system.  Where can I look?  I want to run linux on it, so I don't want
> > some MacIncrash board.

> Speaking of which, I wanted to ask whether any processor daughtercards for
> the UMAX C600 series are being produced. The "feature", as advertised,
> enabled quick, inexpensive, painless upgrades to future processors.
> Unfortunately, I've yet to see one. Any insight?

> Nick

Several upgrades for the c600 have been promised, but as far as I am
aware the UMAX Cachedoubler (280mhz 603 & 80mhz cache) is the only one
which has actually shipped.

Newer Technology announced their G3 upgrade so long ago that if they sold
it tomorrow for $20.00 - I'd pass.

Someone just announced a card for Performa 6400 (& Umax c500/600)
which will plug into the l2 cache slot & include backside cache....

--
Phillip D. Sanders
(remove NOSPAM from email address)

Buying PowerPC parts

Post by Jason » Tue, 01 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Phillip D. Sanders posted the following to comp.os.linux.powerpc:

Quote:>Someone just announced a card for Performa 6400 (& Umax c500/600)
>which will plug into the l2 cache slot & include backside cache....

Any indication whether this will work on PowerBase (it should - same
motherboard)?

--
When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President.  Now
I'm beginning to believe it.

Buying PowerPC parts

Post by Jason » Wed, 02 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Alex McHugh posted the following to comp.os.linux.powerpc:

Quote:>>>Someone just announced a card for Performa 6400 (& Umax c500/600)
>>>which will plug into the l2 cache slot & include backside cache....
>>Any indication whether this will work on PowerBase (it should - same
>>motherboard)?
>The powerBase's CPU is removable, mine has been replaced witha powerlogix
>220MHz G3 card, running quite happily at 266 MHz. The basic motherboard
>between the 6400 and the base is the same but Power Computing changed a
>lot of things they didn't like when designing the base

I wonder if you can stick one of those G3s in the cache slot too and
have a SMP system (assuming that Linux/PowerPC ever gets SMP support
for 603/603e/750 MEI CPUs). That would be pretty neat.

--

Post by Alex McHu » Thu, 03 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>Phillip D. Sanders posted the following to comp.os.linux.powerpc:

>>Someone just announced a card for Performa 6400 (& Umax c500/600)
>>which will plug into the l2 cache slot & include backside cache....

>Any indication whether this will work on PowerBase (it should - same
>motherboard)?

The powerBase's CPU is removable, mine has been replaced witha powerlogix
220MHz G3 card, running quite happily at 266 MHz. The basic motherboard
between the 6400 and the base is the same but Power Computing changed a
lot of things they didn't like when designing the base
alex