Linux Install CD Damage, or G4 Probs

Post by Thomas Hinto » Sun, 09 Jul 2000 04:00:00

When I boot from the LPPC 2K install cd (using yaboot and the install
ramdisk), it all boots up properly and works until I get to the actual
package installation, when none of the RPMs will install, but just
return an error # 256; the terminal output from the installer I find
quite hard to follow, but it seems to be trying to do something with
/mnt/install. Looking in /mnt/install shows it to be empty.

If anyone could tell me what error 256 means, and whether or not
/mnt/install is meant to have anything in or not I'd be extrememly
grateful.

thanks,
tom hinton

Post by Michael Connol » Tue, 18 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> When I boot from the LPPC 2K install cd (using yaboot and the install
> ramdisk), it all boots up properly and works until I get to the actual
> package installation, when none of the RPMs will install, but just
> return an error # 256; the terminal output from the installer I find
> quite hard to follow, but it seems to be trying to do something with
> /mnt/install. Looking in /mnt/install shows it to be empty.

> If anyone could tell me what error 256 means, and whether or not
> /mnt/install is meant to have anything in or not I'd be extrememly
> grateful.

> thanks,
> tom hinton

   I was getting this problem with a CD I'd burned - looked at the bottom
and it was *, with spots that I couldn't wipe off.

   Burning a new copy fixed it.

Michael Connolly        | Hear my band, Tune:

1. How to reset damaged colormap (damaged by netscape -install)

Since I'm stupid, I decided to try out NS 4.0b2.
Also, since I have an 8bit display, I launch NS with the -install option,
which makes it take a private colormap.

However, the damn thing dies often and from time to time, if it dies while I
have focus  on it, X  doesn't restore my "normal"  colormap (the one  I have
when I move my mouse away from NS).

My current colors are green on  yellow, and other nice things like that. The
easy way to fix  this is to exit X and start over,  but I can't currently do
that because of active sessions I have and that I can't kill easily.

1) Can I reset the colormap to a "sane" state?
2) Am I screwed, but is there a way to same my "sane" colormap so that I can
   restore it if the same problem happens again??

Thanks a bunch,
Marc

PS: CC me a copy (I read this group, but not as often as Email, and the
sooner I get back to normal colors, the better for my eyes :-D)
--
Home page: http://www.efrei.fr/~merlin/ (browser friendly)

2. about Apache C API, need way to build hash table

3. SB16/MCD Panasonic CD Linux Install probs

4. ppp under 2.3.26?

5. Recover data from damaged CDs and DVDs on Linux?

6. ppp on redhat 5.2

7. Bios damaged when i tried to install Linux Mandrake on my Laptop

8. X-Windows/Windows managers mouse behavior

9. playing audio CDs in Linux on the G4 Cube?

10. PCMCIA CD-ROM install probs

11. Panasonic CR562B CD install probs

12. Install Prob: Redhat 7: Mitsumi 2X FX-001D CD-ROM Drive

13. Install Prob w/ CD