Great News/Bad news on the APS Mac

Post by Mark Mannin » Thu, 19 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Last night I decided to download BootX along with the associated files
and all.  This is a good news/bad news kind of post about that.  And if
anyone has any ideas on how to fix this new problem I'd be happy
(actually estatic) to listen.  :-)

Anyway, first  let me just say
"WOW!  WHAT A WONDERFULE THING BOOTX IS!!!!!!"

It worked fine the first time I tried it and the Mac went back to being
the Mac afterwards without me having to do any kind of funky key
holding.  Not that I minded the funky key holdings - it's just a lot
nicer to not have to do so.

The new version of vmlinux (2.1.125????) also has solved several of the
other problems which I was experiencing.  Like the sound is now on.  I
get beeps, boops, and music when I play my CD instead of just seeing the
little lights go up and down on the sequencer but nothing coming out of
the speakers.  :-)  Thank you to whoever fixed the problem!

Ok, now the bad news.  If I do not boot up with the "No video" option on
BootX, then everything comes back chunky (ie: the monitor switches from
1280x1024 to 640x480).  Now, this shouldn't be a problem because I can
just type in VMODE 20 8.  Right?  Well, I do.  But when I then type
STARTX - _BING!_ the monitor switches back to 640x480.  Wierd right?  I
thought so.  So I tried getting back out of X and retyping VMODE 20 8
into the mingetty window.  Everything clears, looks good, I type STARTX,
and suddenly I have _nothing_.  The screen goes black and I can't get
out of  X windows, reboot, etc....  So I have to press the panic button
and then I'm WOWed again.  BootX jumps in, resets everything, and I'm
back to the Mac.  Frankly - I'm impressed as hell with BootX.  :-)

Anyway, so I try to reboot without using the video driver.  Everything
seems to work fine except when I get into X windows it's like a trip to
the 60's.  Everything is some sort of a freaky glow in the dark color.
Brilliant orange background, hot pink title bars.  You'd have to see it
to believe it.  So I checked the colormap.  All of the entries in the
colormap are used up.  No wonder the freaky colors.  So I did some more
checking and I think what is happening is that KDE has reared its ugly
head.  I am using fvwm2 but while under fvwm2 I played around with some
of the KDE programs.  Namely kdmconfig.  The greek (not green!)
background is made up of exactly the same kinds of colors the colormap
is loaded up with.

So my question is - how do I stop the system from using that background?

Now!  Before you go off half*ed and tell me to just use the
KDMCONFIG to change it - remember that I'm going directly into fvwm2 by
typing STARTX.  I do not even get to the kdm main page with all of the
icons and what-not on it.  So what I need to know is - what file is
being looked at when I start up X that is telling fvwm2 to load in the
background.  Besides, I've already tried KDMCONFIG and setting the
background to black.  No go.

If you know what's going on here though - let me know so I can fix it.
These colors are just awful.  And I mean A-W-F-U-L!!!!!  :-)  To quote
Bert Reynolds in The End: It looks as if Walt Disney threw up (all over
my screen).

Thanks!  :-)

This is your notice that all junk mail will be assessed a
$25.00 reading fee.  If you send me junk mail, expect an
invoice to come your way soon.  You have been warned.

Post by Simon 'tufty' Staplet » Thu, 19 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> Anyway, so I try to reboot without using the video driver.  Everything
> seems to work fine except when I get into X windows it's like a trip to
> the 60's.  Everything is some sort of a freaky glow in the dark color.
> Brilliant orange background, hot pink title bars.  You'd have to see it
> to believe it.  So I checked the colormap.  All of the entries in the
> colormap are used up.  No wonder the freaky colors.  So I did some more
> checking and I think what is happening is that KDE has reared its ugly
> head.  I am using fvwm2 but while under fvwm2 I played around with some
> of the KDE programs.  Namely kdmconfig.  The greek (not green!)
> background is made up of exactly the same kinds of colors the colormap
> is loaded up with.

> So my question is - how do I stop the system from using that background?

You need to pass the video mode and colour mode to the kernel on startup.
Vmode will still work, but for some funky reason x just ignores it.  If
you put the relevant parameters on the BootX parameter line then start
linux - Bingo.  No funky colours, no 640x480 hell.

My line looks something like this :
root=/dev/sdb6 video=atyfb:vmode:17,cmode:16

Hope this helps.

Simon
--
 _______                                              _______
| ----- |  Biased output from the demented brain of  | ----- |

Great News/Bad news on the APS Mac

Post by Mark Manning/Muniz Eng » Thu, 19 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Yes it does.  :-)  I'll give it a try tonight when I get home!  :-)
Thanks again.  :-)

Post by Steven G. Johns » Thu, 19 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> Ok, now the bad news.  If I do not boot up with the "No video" option on
> BootX, then everything comes back chunky (ie: the monitor switches from
> 1280x1024 to 640x480).  Now, this shouldn't be a problem because I can
> just type in VMODE 20 8.  Right?  Well, I do.  But when I then type
> STARTX - _BING!_ the monitor switches back to 640x480.  Wierd right?  I

One way to get around this, I think, is to pass the options directly to X
in your .xserverrc file.  Add the following line: "X -mode 20 -depth 8".

Good luck!

Cordially,
Steven G. Johnson

Post by Mark Manni » Fri, 20 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> You need to pass the video mode and colour mode to the kernel on startup.
> Vmode will still work, but for some funky reason x just ignores it.  If
> you put the relevant parameters on the BootX parameter line then start
> linux - Bingo.  No funky colours, no 640x480 hell.

> My line looks something like this :
> root=/dev/sdb6 video=atyfb:vmode:17,cmode:16

Ok!  Here are the results:

Now the screen (in video driver mode) goes completely black.  I get jitter
across the screen when the computer puts in a boot command message.  But
nothing else.  When it is through, the screen changes to 1280x1024 mode
but then everything is REALLY screwy.

I've tried: console, screen, tty, ttya, tty0, ttyb, ttya0, ttyb0, tty1,
and nothing at all.  I get the same results.  :-(

In no novideo driver mode I still get the same funky colors.  I also took
Steve Johns' suggestion and put the X -mode line into the .xserverrc
file.  Same funky colors.

Anyone else have an APS Technology computer (603e 200mhz) that they've
gotten this stuff to work on?  I'd like to know what settings you are
using if so.  Thanks!

PS: I've always used the "=" between the word vmode and the value.  Does
it make a difference?  (BTW: I did try the colon as well as the equal sign
on al of the tests.  It didn't seem to make any difference.  Same
results.  Just curious is all.)

Post by Simon 'tufty' Staplet » Sat, 21 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> Now the screen (in video driver mode) goes completely black.  I get jitter
> across the screen when the computer puts in a boot command message.  But
> nothing else.  When it is through, the screen changes to 1280x1024 mode
> but then everything is REALLY screwy.
> I've tried: console, screen, tty, ttya, tty0, ttyb, ttya0, ttyb0, tty1,
> and nothing at all.  I get the same results.  :-(
> In no novideo driver mode I still get the same funky colors.  I also took
> Steve Johns' suggestion and put the X -mode line into the .xserverrc
> file.  Same funky colors.
> Anyone else have an APS Technology computer (603e 200mhz) that they've
> gotten this stuff to work on?  I'd like to know what settings you are
> using if so.  Thanks!
> PS: I've always used the "=" between the word vmode and the value.  Does
> it make a difference?  (BTW: I did try the colon as well as the equal sign
> on al of the tests.  It didn't seem to make any difference.  Same
> results.  Just curious is all.)

I'd say that you need to find out what OF calls your video card.  For me
it's atyfb (frame buffer device on G3 Mac) but I'd guess your card is
something a little more - erm - esoteric.  It seems, however that the
name you need to pass into the kernel is not the OF name (I may be wrong
here) as I use atyfb, but OF calls it /PCI/aty.  Maybe my G3 would
work with just aty?  I'd check up on what OF thinks your video is called,
and give that a bash.  But I'm guessing now.

Simon
--
 _______                                              _______
| ----- |  Biased output from the demented brain of  | ----- |
||MacOS||  Simon Stapleton.                          ||Linux||
|| 8.5 ||                                            || PPC ||
| ----- |  sstaple AT liffe DoT com                  | ----- |
|   -+-.|  (if you can't figure it out...)           |   -+-.|
|???????|                                            |???????|
 -------                                              -------

Great News/Bad news on the APS Mac

Post by Mark Mannin » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Ok!  I want to thank everyone (especially Steve).  I've gotten the BootX
program to correctly boot up the system.  I am now listening to Mahler's
Symphony No. 1 while I download stuff, run a couple of programs, play
Mahjongg, and type this letter.  It is really, really fantastic!  Thanks
to everyone who helped!  I can't believe that atyfb is the graphics on
the motherboard.  I would have thought that atya0 or something like that
would be the device to use!  Well, live and learn I guess!  :-)

Thanks again everyone!  :-)