diagnostic utilities?

Post by Thomas Armago » Sat, 12 Jan 2002 10:51:14

> Something weird happened.  Couldn't enter my password at the login
> window.  However, I was able to login using terminal mode.

> If I were using Mac OS 9.1 rather than Linux, I'd boot off my
> TechTool Pro CD-ROM.  I'd also rebuild the desktop.  And run Disk
> Warrior.  Maybe do some diagnostics and virus detection with
> Norton, just to be thorough.  You get the idea.  What are the best
> Linux diagnostics and repair utilities?  I'd especially prefer
> programs that run in terminal mode.

> The problem began when I was unable to enter Control commands
> while using minicom.  Minicom relies on the Control button--you
> can't quit the program without it.

> SuSE PPC 7.1, beige Old World 266MHz G3 desktop, 384 MB RAM,
> BootX, external 9 GB SCSI hard disk, Mac OS 8.6 partitioned,
> Mac OS 9.1 on internal SCSI hard disk.  Recommended/standard/
> default installation (not full, not custom).  The only RPMs that
> I've installed so far are minicom, rzsz and seyon.  Downloaded
> them from ftp.suse.com's 7.1 PPC subdirectory.

Kernel 2.2.18.  Guess I'm just a spudboy....

--
weblog <http://www.pe.net/~sputnik/blog.html>

diagnostic utilities?

Post by Thomas Armagos » Sat, 12 Jan 2002 09:58:27

Something weird happened.  Couldn't enter my password at the login
window.  However, I was able to login using terminal mode.  This
problem persists.

If I were using Mac OS 9.1 rather than Linux, I'd boot off my
TechTool Pro CD-ROM.  I'd also rebuild the desktop.  And run Disk
Warrior.  Maybe do some diagnostics and virus detection with Norton,
just to be thorough.  You get the idea.  What are the best Linux
diagnostics and repair utilities?  I'd especially prefer programs
that run in terminal mode.

Things started going wrong when I was unable to enter Control
commands while using minicom.  Minicom relies on the Control
button--you can't quit the program without it.

SuSE PPC 7.1, beige Old World 266MHz G3 desktop, 384 MB RAM, BootX,
external 9 GB SCSI hard disk, Mac OS 8.6 partitioned, Mac OS 9.1 on
internal SCSI hard disk.  Recommended/standard/default installation
(not full, not custom).  The only RPMs that I've installed so far
are minicom, rzsz and seyon.  Downloaded them from ftp.suse.com's
7.1 PPC subdirectory.

--

diagnostic utilities?

Post by I R A Darth Agg » Tue, 15 Jan 2002 23:13:10

On Thu, 10 Jan 2002 16:58:27 -0800 (PST),

+ Something weird happened.  Couldn't enter my password at the login
+ window.  However, I was able to login using terminal mode.  This
+ problem persists.

Troll through your log files in /var/log and see if there is a problem.
Alternatively, drop to run level 3, log in to that account, and startx
and see if that gives you an error.

+ What are the best Linux diagnostics and repair utilities?

They're already included, in terms of the system itself. Linux doesn't
try to hide from you, tho it may squirrel away the relevant
information into a log file somewhere.

If you're running XFree v4.x, then there will be a /var/log/XFree*.log.
It's been so long since I ran v3 that I don't know if it kept a log file
like that.

James
isn't looking good, either.

1. RAM diagnostic utility

--------------3184FE2D29FDCC5ABA26F653

Does anyone know where I could find a RAM tester for linux, (hell, even
for dos if I have to). I think I have a bad simm, and want to confirm my
suspicions (and figure out which simm(s) are giving me the trouble.

Imbert

Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot...

Imbert Allen  4th Yr. BCS

--------------3184FE2D29FDCC5ABA26F653

<HTML>
Does anyone know where I could find a RAM tester for linux, (hell, even
for dos if I have to). I think I have a bad simm, and want to confirm my
suspicions (and figure out which simm(s) are giving me the trouble.
<BR>&nbsp;
<PRE>Imbert</PRE>

<PRE>--&nbsp;
Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot...

Imbert Allen&nbsp; 4th Yr. BCS&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Acadia University&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&n
------------------------------------------------------------------------------</PRE>
&nbsp;</HTML>

--------------3184FE2D29FDCC5ABA26F653--

2. Sun Certified Solaris Administrator Exam... any tips?

3. cd/dvd diagnostic utility

4. RH6.0 clock skew

5. Diagnostic Utilities??

6. Ranish Partition manager

7. SEND DIAGNOSTIC and RECEIVE DIAGNOSTIC RESULT

8. Network server Installation

9. Difference between GNU Utilities & Standard UNIX utilities

10. Diagnostic Diskettes Model 560

11. diagnostics to find crash source?

12. Exercisers/Diagnostics for UNIX systems

13. Samba diagnostics in syslog