2 MkLinux Questions: system error display and KDE exit

2 MkLinux Questions: system error display and KDE exit

Post by Charles I. Fulle » Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:00:00

My Mac 8100/80AV just keeps being useful...

MkLinux installed and chugging along pretty well except for frequent
annoying system message
"target 6: Sensed a Recovered error"
that keeps ruining the KDE screen.  The refresh doesn't fix it.  I can
lock/unlock or logout/cancel to bring it back.  I've seen FAQ entries
mentioning this problem but no fixes.

Can I re-assign the console to something less irritating?  xterm -C would
be nice if it worked.
Can I tell the system to ignore "Recovered errors"?

Second question (much more minor):  How does one exit the KDE?  So far, I
just login as root and reboot...

TIA,
Charles Fuller

2 MkLinux Questions: system error display and KDE exit

Post by Jeroen Scheerd » Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Can I re-assign the console to something less irritating?  xterm -C would
> be nice if it worked.

There's no "xconsole"?

Quote:> Can I tell the system to ignore "Recovered errors"?

Check /etc/syslog.conf.  The messages are on some notification level
that is configured to be written to /dev/console, apparently.

You might be able to find the log level by examining /var/log's files,
and see which (if any) files there also get that notification.  Then
check /etc/syslog.conf (`man syslog' first, if you're new to syslog),
and you could consider not having this level of system logging output to
/dev/console.

If it's a very high level -- kernel critical messages, for example --
that may not be acceptable, of course.  Finding the culprit may be more
attractive, but it may also be a cumbersome task.  Sounds like a SCSI
issue to me, for what that's worth.

-- J$
--
dash dash space
this is my .sig                                         it's not so .big

1. ERROR: Failed to open default display - exiting.

Situation:

User on system A sets "xhost +" -- logs into System B --
sets "export DISPLAY=system_A:0" -- runs application
which fails with the message indicated above.

All permissions are set correctly and an xterm can
be started without problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated....

Ulimit is set high enough to preclude an issue with it.

TIA

--
Views expressed are personal and not necessarily shared by my employer.
dfr at raleigh dot ibm dot com

2. MEDIA: good news about Studio and Oracle

3. Installation; problem at MKlinux /MacOS splash screen, after I choose Mklinux system hangs.

4. Acer CD-rewriter

5. KDE video error under MkLinux DR3

6. routing tables

7. exit()-System or C Library call, return vs exit

8. redhat network installation

9. KDE Exit error message

10. Interesting question (sound while exiting KDE)

11. Mklinux/Syjet: Recoverable error messages hang system