Help - Emulated Mouse Buttons 2 & 3 (with ADB)?

Help - Emulated Mouse Buttons 2 & 3 (with ADB)?

Post by Craig Mill » Sun, 05 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hello All,

I am wrestling with the kernel parameter adb_buttons=19,20 (which should
be number keys 2 & 3). It doesn't work. And in the long run that isn't
what I want anyway.

Under standard YDL 1.2, they map buttons 2 & 3 on a single button mouse
machine (like my Pismo Powerbook G3) to the the following:
   Mouse button 3 = CTRL + Mouse button
   Mouse button 2 = Option + Mouse Button

I found I like this mapping, but I don't see how it is configured, and
when I move to Ben's Kernel #3 <http://ppclinux.apple.com/~benh/> I lose
that mapping.

These mappings must have a default somewhere in the source under
/usr/src/linux, but have spent much of this evening looking,
unsucessfully.

Does anyone know where the default mappings are defined? I'll happily go
recompile the kernel, if I knew.

TIA,

Craig...

--
Please remove spam- from my address
The Internet was a better place before spam

Post by Roger M. Ellingso » Mon, 06 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> I am wrestling with the kernel parameter adb_buttons=19,20 (which should
> be number keys 2 & 3). It doesn't work. And in the long run that isn't
> what I want anyway.

I have a 1999 powerbook and I could not figure out how to
emulate a 2-button mouse under Linux. I thought I could get
by but I NEEDED the 2nd button for some Linux functions.
Finally, I went to Computer Town and found a 2-button USB
mouse about the size of the hockey puck cut down the middle.
It fits well in the carrying case for my Powerbook too.

Maybe they have a 2-button ADB mouse at computer town or MacWarehouse.

--Roger

1. YDL/CS 1.2: Emulate 3-button mouse w/ 1-button ADB?

Yes, yes, I know. Truly the ways of Linux I will never master until I
get a real mouse. So sue me. :-)

I've got an effectively one-button ADB mouse. This makes Gnome and KDE
rather, well, "challenging." I've read plenty of stuff about how Linux
for PPC is supposed to be able to map keyboard keys to the 2nd and 3rd
buttons -- but I'll be damned if I can figure out what they're talking
about.

I found the note about adding "adb_buttons=1,122,120" to the kernel
arguments. I will admit, I'm not entirely sure where you specify kernel
arguments. Does this mean the "extra kernel arguments" field in BootX?
If so, did that -- it didn't work.

What I'd =like= is if I can do what MacOS does, namely, instead of
mapping them to keys, map them to modifier-click combinations, like
open-apple-click for button 2 and control-click for 3. But nobody seems
to be doing that.

(By the way, among the things that messed me up; every OTHER weird OS or
emulator I've used mapped "alt" to the option key. It took me 20 minutes
to figure out that YDL mapped it to the open-apple key. Weird. And just
plain =wrong=, too, since the option key =says= "alt" on it as well.)

--

J. Brad Hicks
U.S. Shamanics & Mechanical Zen

http://www.us-shamanics.com/brad/

2. Character set is junked after X

3. 2 button mouse doesn't emulate 3 button mouse

4. PEX/Solaris 2.4 Crash: kbd disabled - must reboot/run xdm!

5. HELP: X11 & 2 button mice (ADB) anyone?

6. Setup on Elonex PC466/i

7. Emulating 3-button mouse/trackball with a 2-button device?

8. about hacking

9. Emulating 3-button mouse with only 1 button?

10. ADB 2 or 3 -button mouse & Linux driver?

11. 7500 + XLR Carrier + Debian + ADB mouse + XFree86 = no mouse buttons

12. How to use the second mouse button with my adb-mouse ?

13. How to emulate a 3-button mouse with a standard Apple mouse?