How to update to Airport Support?

Post by Fletcher Penne » Mon, 31 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I am currently attempting to set up YDL CS 1.2 on an ibook with an
airport card.  I am able to access the internet through ethernet, but
would really like to enable the airport card.  I downloaded the newest
kernel and airport.o file from Ben H's web site, but when I tried to
upgrade (probably incorrectly!) I lost mouse support (which was sort of
expected as explained on the web site), but was unable to properly
reconnect it.  So I was then unable to run startx.

If someone could please be kind enough to point me towards some
instructions on how to upgrade to include airport support, I would be
most grateful.  I could even post the instructions on my web site for
future users.....

TIA!!!

Fletcher

--
Fletcher Penney
Medical University of South Carolina

Post by Michael Schmit » Wed, 02 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> I am currently attempting to set up YDL CS 1.2 on an ibook with an
> airport card.  I am able to access the internet through ethernet, but
> would really like to enable the airport card.  I downloaded the newest
> kernel and airport.o file from Ben H's web site, but when I tried to
> upgrade (probably incorrectly!) I lost mouse support (which was sort of
> expected as explained on the web site), but was unable to properly
> reconnect it.  So I was then unable to run startx.

1) mkdir /dev/input

2) mknod /dev/input/mice c 13 63

3) ln -sf /dev/input/mice /dev/mouse

4) change the mouse input device section of XF86Config to use

Option  "Protocol"    "IMPS/2"
Option  "Device"      "/dev/mouse"

Note: switching back to kernels prior to 2.2.17 means you'll have to
change that again, so keep a backup copy of XF86Config.

        Michael

1. HFS+ support, AirPort support, and Mac OS emulation?

What's the progress of HFS Plus support on LinuxPPC?  Are we close to being
able to read from and write to HFS Plus partitions under Linux, or is that
still nowhere near ready?

Has there been any work done yet on AirPort support?  Is this an easy thing,
as it's treated just like any other network device, or is it so proprietary
that it's out of the question yet?

Also, I remember reading something about a Mac OS emulator (other than
SheepShaver).  Is anyone else familiar with this software, and can you tell
me how well it works?  (That is, is it stable, does it support sound and
Quicktime, will games run under it?)  And how close is SheepShaver to being
released?

WIll LinuxPPC support video DVD's (since the encryption has been
reverse-engineered already) and the Cinema Display, or is it way too early
for that yet?

The reason I ask is that I'm considering getting a G4 and running Linux on
it, and running Mac OS on top of Linux.  I'm just trying to find out whether
this is viable or foolhardy.  :)

--
  ____    |\/|                  Brian Kendig
  \  /\   / ..__.     brian at enchanter net    You are in a maze of twisty

2. Mount Xenix to Linux

3. Apple Airport & Lucent WaveLAN - Airport Freezing

4. disactivating ping

5. Wavelan/Airport PC Card Support??

6. FreeBSD Gateway Problems

7. Airport Card supported yet on iBook ?

8. Solaris 8 x86 Installation

9. Airport support for LinuxPPC 2000 ?

10. N240 supported update release

11. oprofile update: Pentium IV support

12. PCI updates - 32-bit IO support

13. Update PC-9800 support (1/3) keyboard driver