Upgrading from glibc 2.1 to 2.2?

Post by Ron Chanic » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 05:48:42

I am interested in upgrading from glibc 2.1 to 2.2, but I am worried it's
going to completely hose my system.  I've RTFM already, but I'm just
wondering if there's any gotchas that anybody else has encountered.  Has
anyone else done this and was it as bad as I think it's going to be?

Thanks

Upgrading from glibc 2.1 to 2.2?

Post by Jonathan DePrizi » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 11:21:10

On Mon, 27 Aug 2001 15:48:42 -0500

> I am interested in upgrading from glibc 2.1 to 2.2, but I am worried
it's
> going to completely hose my system.  I've RTFM already, but I'm just
> wondering if there's any gotchas that anybody else has encountered.  Has
> anyone else done this and was it as bad as I think it's going to be?

> Thanks

There is no need for an actual upgrade.  You can have more than one
version of glibc on the same machine at one time.  For instance, if you
want to install glibc 2.2, you'd normally run the command:
rpm -hviU glibc-2.2.x-x.ppc.rpm

But you'd probably get dependancy errors.  You can install like this:
rpm -hvi --force glibc-2.2.x-x.ppc.rpm

And it will coexsist fine with 2.1.  I'm no expert, however, and I'd ask
anyone that reads this to post a reply confirming what I have said here,
before you go and do this.  I've had some bad experiances with glibc that
compleatly killed my ability to compile anything, so I know how it feels.

Thanks, hope that helps,
Jon

Post by Griff Miller I » Mon, 17 Sep 2001 03:05:49

> I am interested in upgrading from glibc 2.1 to 2.2, but I am worried it's
> going to completely hose my system.  I've RTFM already, but I'm just
> wondering if there's any gotchas that anybody else has encountered.  Has
> anyone else done this and was it as bad as I think it's going to be?

> Thanks

I tried to go from 2.1 to 2.2, and it didn't work. Every application that
I subsequently tried to run spit out the message "kernel too old" or something
like that. I had to boot from alternate media and reinstall 2.1 .

My kernel was 2.4.5 .  I tried to install a later kernel, but later kernels
don't seem to work with my Umax S900 .   :(

--
Griff Miller II
Manager of Information Technology

Post by Mattias Andersso » Sun, 09 Dec 2001 17:09:30

Ron skrev:
I am interested in upgrading from glibc 2.1 to 2.2, but I am worried
it's
going to completely hose my system.  I've RTFM already, but I'm just
wondering if there's any gotchas that anybody else has encountered.  Has
anyone else done this and was it as bad as I think it's going to be?

Thanks

--
I got LPP 2k Q4 with the latest Blibc 2.2.4, gcc 3.02 AND
RPM 4.03.

Better if karou had mentined that. ;)

Godd luck!

--
SAAB 9-5 Aero

1. Upgrading from glibc 2.1 to glibc 2.2

Using a RedHat 6.x distro, I have a lot of things updated:

kernel 2.2.19 with reiserfs
glibc 2.1.3
binutils 2.9.5
cpp 2.95
gcc 2.95
gcc-c++ 2.95
qt 2.3
Xfree 4.0.3
kde 2.1

As you can see above, I have upgraded gcc from 2.9.1 ( that came with
egcs ) to gcc 2.95 ( from libc6 contrib RPM ) due to a compiler bug that
I encounered compiling qt 2.3 with "march=i686".

However, I wanted to upgrade from kde 2.1 to kde 2.1.1. Since there are
no RPMs for RedHat6.x of kde 2.1.1, I downloaded the SRPMS and try to
build the RPMs and install them. Building kdesupport went okay ( with
"rpm -bb --target=i686 kdesupport-2.1.spec" ). Now I am trying to build
kdedoc with "rpm -bb --target=i686 kdedoc-2.1.1.spec". However, the
build requires perl 5.6.0, which in turn requires glibc 2.2.

With the exception of installing a new distro, I have not done a major
glibc upgrade. So my questions are:

1) Is it safe? Will the existing apps that were compiled, static or
shared, with glibc 2.1 still work with glibc 2.2? The only information I
can find about this is on the link below:

        http://www.imaxx.net/~thrytis/glibc/glibc-FAQ.html#2.3

... but it seems that the document is about a move from libc5  to libc6.
Is there a more updated version of this doc specifically for a move from
glibc 2.1 to glibc 2.2?

2) Has anyone with a RedHat 6.x distro done this, using the glibc-2.2
RPMS from rawhide?

Any help appreciated,

John
--
Homepage: http://homepages.tig.com.au/~jmsalvo/
Public Key:

2. Rs-485

3. Modem and DSL

4. How to upgrade glibc 2.1 to 2.2

5. X crash with the nvidia driver for linux

6. Upgrading glibc 2.1 -> 2.2

7. Remote console login

8. glibc 2.1 and glibc 2.2

9. Can primary glibc 2.1.x coexist with non-primary glibc 2.2.x WRT shared binaries?

10. Trouble upgrading from glibc-2.1.2 to glibc-2.2.2 (rpm failed dependencies)

11. Upgrading kernel 2.2.x to 2.4.x and GLibc 2.1.3 to 2.2.x

12. glibc 2.1 -> 2.2 update issue