Should i make a hfs partition or what?

Post by Stimit Oa » Sat, 25 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I have an Imac Rev. D with zip 100 usb drive. I installed LinuxPPc2k
some time ago, but did not make any hfs partition as i thought it to be
unnecessary at that time. My mac partition is hfs+. Now there is no way
of getting data into my Linux partition other than the CDrom or the
net., as i can't mount the hfs+ partition, nor can mount the USB zip
drive (i have a 2.2.15pre3 kernel) But i can't keep burning everything i
want to put on the cd, and the net connection is way too slow (these
damned 56k modems only give a data rate of 5.5 k max). Hence i need to
know if i should reinstall PPC, making a say 200MB hfs partition which i
can use for exchange from MAC to Linux. Can anyone think of a simpler
way?
Stimit

Should i make a hfs partition or what?

Post by Rod Smi » Sat, 25 Mar 2000 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> I have an Imac Rev. D with zip 100 usb drive. I installed LinuxPPc2k
> some time ago, but did not make any hfs partition as i thought it to be
> unnecessary at that time. My mac partition is hfs+. Now there is no way
> of getting data into my Linux partition other than the CDrom or the
> net., as i can't mount the hfs+ partition, nor can mount the USB zip
> drive (i have a 2.2.15pre3 kernel) But i can't keep burning everything i
> want to put on the cd, and the net connection is way too slow (these
> damned 56k modems only give a data rate of 5.5 k max). Hence i need to
> know if i should reinstall PPC, making a say 200MB hfs partition which i
> can use for exchange from MAC to Linux. Can anyone think of a simpler
> way?

I've heard some people have had success using USB Zip drives with some of
the 2.3.x kernels, at least on x86 computers. I don't know if you're
using a kernel that's patched with the latest USB stuff. If not, try
adding that in, or see if a 2.3.x kernel compiles for you (the last time
I checked, I couldn't get a 2.3.4x kernel to compile on my iMac). You can
read more at http://www.linuxusb.org.

--

http://www.rodsbooks.com
Author of books on Linux networking & WordPerfect for Linux

Should i make a hfs partition or what?

Post by I R A Darth Agg » Sat, 25 Mar 2000 04:00:00

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000 01:06:32 -0600,

+ damned 56k modems only give a data rate of 5.5 k max)

Yes. This is surprising how? (56 Kbits is roughly 5.5 Kbytes). On
the other hand, if you're reliably getting 5.5 Kbytes thru-put, you
may be a very good candidate for DSL.

+ Hence i need to know if i should reinstall PPC, making a say 200MB
+ hfs partition which i can use for exchange from MAC to Linux. Can
+ anyone think of a simpler way?

You might could slice off an "adequate" chunk of your PPC partition(s)
and reformat it as HFS. Obviously, you should exercise caution, backup
important files, yaddayaddayadda.

If you end up having to reinstall PPC, you may want to make a copy of
/etc so you retain all you settings, and you may want to get a copy
of the output from "rpm -qa", too.

James
The Bill of Rights is paid in Responsibilities - Jean McGuire
To cure your perl CGI problems, please look at:
<url:http://www.perl.com/CPAN/doc/FAQs/cgi/idiots-guide.html>

1. Shrink your HFS and HFS+ partition with GNU Parted

Hi,

I'm working on the HFS/HFS+ support of GNU Parted.
Right now, using my patch for Parted 1.6.5 will let you shrink your HFS and HFS+ partition.
You can download it at address :

http://xilun666.free.fr/parted-1.6.5-hfs-7.patch

You can download Parted 1.6.5 sources at address :

http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/parted/parted-1.6.5.tar.gz

If you want to test it, you should _save your important data_ because this is still work in progress (and because you should always save your important data with this kind of tool anyway). You should run Mac SOS Disk before and after shrinking your partition too. And last but not the least, you should report any bug (and even success if you like) to me, including messages of SOS Disk. Also instead of using the exact url above check if there isn't a newer patch on my website, for example : http://xilun666.free.fr/parted-1.6.5-hfs-8.patch
You might want to use the last Gentoo Live RC developpeur to build it if you have no installed linux on your Mac ; it includes a working GCC :

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/gentoo/experimental...

Good tests !

---
Guillaume Knispel

2. where are the header files?

3. Format a linux partition into an hfs partition

4. NY-NJ-CT-Westchester-L.I.,NY - UNIX Systems Administrators

5. Making HFS accessible in LinuxPPC

6. chmod question

7. Using "LinuxPPC_2000_Lite.hfs.image" and making a bootable CD

8. Unix debuger

9. Drive Format Utility and Linux(HFS+ > HFS?)

10. Installing ?'s with HFS and HFS+ on same drive

11. HFS/HFS+ support options on (RH6.0) Linux?

12. Shared drive for Linux/MacOS 9, is HFS/HFS+ an option, and safe one?

13. hfs & hfsutils fail trying to read a HFS cdrom