problems with mysql-installation

Post by Christoph Lauterbac » Sun, 02 Apr 2000 04:00:00

hi,

i (try to) work with linux fir one week, so don't kill me for my stupid
questions.

i tried to install mysql on linuxppc2000. so i've first downloaded the
binary rpm for ppc from the tcx.se-server. then i installed the package. but
most files weren't installed into the dirs which are discribed in the docs.
the file "mysqladmin" even doesn't exist. and there is no dir named "mysql"
in /usr/local/.

Then i uninstalled all the files and got the source. i extended it and run
./configure which aborted with the following message:
"error: installation or configure problem: compiler cannot create
executables"
One time "gcc" was used as compiler and one time it was something like
"egcs". There programms are installed but don't seem to work.

What's wrong here?

BTW: what's a PATH-variable?

greeting from germany
</christoph>

Post by John Fishe » Sun, 02 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> Then i uninstalled all the files and got the source. i extended it and run
> ./configure which aborted with the following message:
> "error: installation or configure problem: compiler cannot create
> executables"
> One time "gcc" was used as compiler and one time it was something like
> "egcs". There programms are installed but don't seem to work.

> What's wrong here?

Make sure you have also installed the packages: binutils, glibc-devel,
and kernel-headers.

Quote:> BTW: what's a PATH-variable?

The PATH variable is an environment variable which tells your shell
where to look for executable files.  For example, when you type
'netscape' it searches in the directories specified by PATH for an
executable file named 'netscape.'

You can see your current path by typing 'echo $PATH'.

You can add a new directory to it with 'export
PATH=$PATH\:/new/directory' (bash) or 'setenv PATH
$PATH\:/new/directory' (tcsh).

John

1. Problem with MySQL installation

I've installed MySQL, but am having problems setting the root user's
password as per the suggestion given when I do the install.

Here's what I have:

bash# safe_mysqld &
[1] 19991
bash# Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/mysql

bash# /usr/local/bin/mysqladmin -u root -p password newpassword
Enter password:
/usr/local/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed

I don't get it ... isn't the default password for the database 'password'?

2. password length recognition

3. mySQL installation problem

4. Direct access to parallel port?

5. MySQL installation problems (address already in use)

6. USR non-winmodem problem

7. Solaris mySQL installation Problem

8. bash: scp: command not found (ssh is installed)

9. Solaris10 MySql installation problem

10. mysql installation problem:

11. Problem wuth mySQL-3.22.32 source installation

12. Apache / PHP4 / MySql Problem - Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysql/mysql.sock'

13. mysql installation fails