PowerPC binary compiler for x86 Linux?

Post by Wesley Jo » Sun, 21 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Is there a version of gcc/g++ which will run on x86 Linux but create
PowerPC binaries (a cross-compiler)?  It seems that this would be a great
thing to distribute to developers who have programs out for x86 Linux
but nothing for PowerPC Linux (companies/programs such as Netscape, Matlab,
Corel, microstation).

This would eliminate the current roadblock of not having their source
code so that we could build it ourselves.  The companies could keep their
code in-house and build PowerPC versions on their regular Linux boxes
(whatever platform they may be), thereby eliminating the major
disadvantage of PowerPC Linux - the shortage of software in comparison to
other versions of Linux.  I mean, they already have the code, it's just a
matter of compiling it for the PowerPC (or is it not as simple as this?)
Sounds like an easy way for companies to sell their product to a new market.

Regards,
 - Wesley