Yellowdog linux 2.3

Post by nicma » Tue, 25 Jun 2002 01:02:50

Hi,
YDL 2.3 is available for purchase from website. Supports Radeon graphics
cards but not the Radeon Mobility 7500 found in new Powerbooks (Tibook 667
& 800).

Jim Paradis

Yellowdog linux 2.3

Post by E. Robert Tisdal » Tue, 25 Jun 2002 02:54:23

> YDL 2.3 is available for purchase from website. Supports Radeon graphics
> cards but not the Radeon Mobility 7500 found in new Powerbooks (Tibook 667
> & 800).

Just last week, we downloaded an image of the Yellow Dog Linux 2.2 CDROM
and installed it on an 800 MHz Apple Titanium PowerBook G4 latop computer.

Yellowdog linux 2.3

Post by nicma » Tue, 25 Jun 2002 11:15:29

>> YDL 2.3 is available for purchase from website. Supports Radeon graphics
>> cards but not the Radeon Mobility 7500 found in new Powerbooks (Tibook
>> 667 & 800).

> Just last week, we downloaded an image of the Yellow Dog Linux 2.2 CDROM
> and installed it on an 800 MHz Apple Titanium PowerBook G4 latop computer.

It's been over a month for me since I purchased YDL2.2 for my new Tibook
667mhz G4. I had problems getting X up and running at first. I had to
download a new kernel from ppckernel.org before I could get X and KDE3
running. I like running YDL 2.2 and will most likely upgrade to 2.3.

Yellowdog linux 2.3

Post by Wouter Depuyd » Tue, 25 Jun 2002 23:15:36

Quote:> It's been over a month for me since I purchased YDL2.2 for my new Tibook
> 667mhz G4. I had problems getting X up and running at first. I had to
> download a new kernel from ppckernel.org before I could get X and KDE3
> running. I like running YDL 2.2 and will most likely upgrade to 2.3.

Accelerated X ('radeon' driver) or frame buffer device ('fbdev' driver)? I
managed to get a half decent picture on my new Tibook with the radeon driver
(accelerated 2D), but still no DRI (accelerated 3D). All modules load fine
(kernel drm, ati/radeon X driver, dri module) but at the end of my X-log it
says 'RADEON(0): removing Direct Rendering Interface'. Despite numerous
rebuilds, compiles, downloads patches, ... .

Wouter ;?)

PS: I'm using gentoo 1.2a

Yellowdog linux 2.3

Post by nicma » Wed, 26 Jun 2002 00:31:20

>> It's been over a month for me since I purchased YDL2.2 for my new Tibook
>> 667mhz G4. I had problems getting X up and running at first. I had to
>> download a new kernel from ppckernel.org before I could get X and KDE3
>> running. I like running YDL 2.2 and will most likely upgrade to 2.3.

> Accelerated X ('radeon' driver) or frame buffer device ('fbdev' driver)? I
> managed to get a half decent picture on my new Tibook with the radeon
> driver (accelerated 2D), but still no DRI (accelerated 3D). All modules
> load fine (kernel drm, ati/radeon X driver, dri module) but at the end of
> my X-log it says 'RADEON(0): removing Direct Rendering Interface'. Despite
> numerous rebuilds, compiles, downloads patches, ... .

> Wouter ;?)

> PS: I'm using gentoo 1.2a

I was able to get 16bit color depth with the fbdev driver. Does your Tibook
use the Radeon Mobility 7500 card? If so did you download a special radeon
driver? How hard was gentoo 1.2a to setup and install?

Jim Paradis

Yellowdog linux 2.3

Post by Wouter Depuyd » Wed, 26 Jun 2002 01:35:59

Quote:> I was able to get 16bit color depth with the fbdev driver. Does your
Tibook
> use the Radeon Mobility 7500 card?

yep.

Quote:> If so did you download a special radeon driver?

nop. Standard gentoo install. 8bit and 16bit color with the fbdev driver,
8-24 bit color with the radeon driver. There is some distortion with the
radeon driver, but not the psychedelic stuff I've got with YD2.2.

Quote:> How hard was gentoo 1.2a to setup and install?

Not really hard to install. I just followed the installation instructions on
the CD (you can read them in a second virtual console during installation.)
There is some x86 specific stuff in these instructions, but the ppc-part is
covered on the gentoo website.
Although not difficult to install, it's --==veeery==-- time consuming. You
better take a day, and make sure you have broadband. It compiles everything
(and I mean everything) from source. You start with a 30MB boot CD,
including a basic gcc-setup. It then downloads the latest glibc-sources.
Compiles to your machine. Downloads the latest gcc-2.9.5.x, compiles it. And
uses this custom build glibc and gcc to compile everything else. After basic
installation you can customize and rebuild the kernel and install (=
download&compile) the the other packages.
Also with debian and YD2.2 my Tibook got very hot , even if the machine had
nothing to do. While with gentoo, it stayed cool (not during installation of
course :).
Anyway I'll try YD 2.3 now since I screwed up my installation with sources
and patches from other sources (probably some x86 specific stuff). If YD2.3
has the same functionality as gentoo 1.2a, I'll stick with it. If not, it
will be a long night...

Wouter ;?)

> Jim Paradis

Yellowdog linux 2.3

Post by nicma » Wed, 26 Jun 2002 02:20:49

>> I was able to get 16bit color depth with the fbdev driver. Does your
> Tibook
>> use the Radeon Mobility 7500 card?
> yep.

>> If so did you download a special radeon driver?
> nop. Standard gentoo install. 8bit and 16bit color with the fbdev driver,
> 8-24 bit color with the radeon driver. There is some distortion with the
> radeon driver, but not the psychedelic stuff I've got with YD2.2.

>> How hard was gentoo 1.2a to setup and install?
> Not really hard to install. I just followed the installation instructions
> on the CD (you can read them in a second virtual console during
> installation.) There is some x86 specific stuff in these instructions, but
> the ppc-part is covered on the gentoo website.
> Although not difficult to install, it's --==veeery==-- time consuming. You
> better take a day, and make sure you have broadband. It compiles
> everything (and I mean everything) from source. You start with a 30MB boot
> CD, including a basic gcc-setup. It then downloads the latest
> glibc-sources. Compiles to your machine. Downloads the latest gcc-2.9.5.x,
> compiles it. And uses this custom build glibc and gcc to compile
> everything else. After basic installation you can customize and rebuild
> the kernel and install (= download&compile) the the other packages.
> Also with debian and YD2.2 my Tibook got very hot , even if the machine
> had nothing to do. While with gentoo, it stayed cool (not during
> installation of course :).
> Anyway I'll try YD 2.3 now since I screwed up my installation with sources
> and patches from other sources (probably some x86 specific stuff). If
> YD2.3 has the same functionality as gentoo 1.2a, I'll stick with it. If
> not, it will be a long night...

> Wouter ;?)

thanks for you insites on gentoo. BTW my Tibook gets real hot running YDL
also. I wonder why?

Jim

Yellowdog linux 2.3

Post by Thomas Bjorn Anderse » Wed, 26 Jun 2002 03:20:17

> BTW my Tibook gets real hot running YDL also. I wonder why?

Probably because your kernel doesn't support power management, so it
keeps the CPU running at full speed all the time.  Are you getting
noticable shorter battery life than in Mac OS as well?

--

                                                                  +++ATH

Yellowdog linux 2.3

Post by nicma » Wed, 26 Jun 2002 04:34:30

>> BTW my Tibook gets real hot running YDL also. I wonder why?

> Probably because your kernel doesn't support power management, so it
> keeps the CPU running at full speed all the time.  Are you getting
> noticable shorter battery life than in Mac OS as well?

I haven't notice since I use the Tibook mostly at work and home. I will give
it a try later see what I get for time.

Jim

Yellowdog linux 2.3

Post by Wouter Depuyd » Wed, 26 Jun 2002 18:17:01

Quote:> thanks for you insites on gentoo.

There's also a 'slight' keyboard problem when you boot for the first time
(all keys are remapped 'ad random'). Use this as boot command at the yaboot:
# Linux keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes=1
Once booted you can add it to the yaboot.conf file.

Quote:> BTW my Tibook gets real hot running YDL
> also. I wonder why?

Like Thomas said: power management. In the kernel-2.4.19 config there's a
"CPU thermal management" option. Don't know if it exists in previous
kernels. And if it does, it probably isn't turned on in the Debian/YD
kernel. You can monitor the CPU-temperature in /proc/cpuinfo (even during
install).

Wouter ;?)

PS: re-installing gentoo. YD2.3 had the same X-problems as YD2.2

Yellowdog linux 2.3

Post by nicma » Wed, 26 Jun 2002 22:49:26

>> thanks for you insites on gentoo.
> There's also a 'slight' keyboard problem when you boot for the first time
> (all keys are remapped 'ad random'). Use this as boot command at the
> yaboot:
> # Linux keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes=1
> Once booted you can add it to the yaboot.conf file.

>> BTW my Tibook gets real hot running YDL
>> also. I wonder why?
> Like Thomas said: power management. In the kernel-2.4.19 config there's a
> "CPU thermal management" option. Don't know if it exists in previous
> kernels. And if it does, it probably isn't turned on in the Debian/YD
> kernel. You can monitor the CPU-temperature in /proc/cpuinfo (even during
> install).

> Wouter ;?)

> PS: re-installing gentoo. YD2.3 had the same X-problems as YD2.2

I downloaded gentoo iso. I'm going to give the install a try. This may be a
dumb question but does gentoo for ppc have KDE3 yet?

jim

Yellowdog linux 2.3

Post by Wouter Depuyd » Thu, 27 Jun 2002 02:34:43

Quote:> I downloaded gentoo iso. I'm going to give the install a try. This may be
> dumb question but does gentoo for ppc have KDE3 yet?

Yes, it does

Wouter ;?)

1. Yellowdog 2.3 vers Mandrake 8.2 install comparison

Hi all,

I have decided to try Yellowdog 2.3 (since it allready has KDE 3.0 and other
stuff) last night. So here is my progress on a G3 Powerbook Pismo:

1. Mostly the installation ran fine, however when it cam time to partition,
I could not find a way to change the file-system (defaulted to ext2), I
would like to use ext3 or reiserFS ......

2. When booting up the 1st time, there was an error in mounting the swap
partition, complained about an incorrect parameter?? Does this mean the
/etc/fstab entry is faulty ... will investigate.

3. When it came time to launch KDE, the sound driver coudn't  be found ( no
/dev/dma ), however if I logged out of KDE and re-logged back in the driver
came alive? This behaviour happens after every cold boot.

4. With KDE up and running had slow-down issues, but I beleive this is fixed
with an updated Qt. However could not apt-get it, since the modem would not
work......

5. Modem issue. First there is no /dev/modem so had to link it to
/dev/ttys0, set up kppp ok and managed to dial in to my provider, however,
every time I tried to connect to a web page, I get an address unknown error,
it's as if DNS name reolving is being screwed up....

On the positive side sleep (closing the lid) works fine ... and wakes up
properly, something that Mandrake would not do, and also the contrast and
volume keys work as intended.

If someone can help me with some of the issues above, it would be greatly
appreciated.

Cheers,
Bernard Mentink

2. zsh questions

3. Sound with Yellowdog 2.3 on Powerbook Pismo

4. pre-installation question

5. PM 7600, G3 Upgrade, and YellowDog 2.3

6. Encryption between windows and linux server

7. Yellowdog 2.3 vers Mandrake 8.2 install comparison

8. Stealth 32 VLB, 2MB video driver

9. USB ZIPdisk error "not a block device" in Yellowdog 2.3

10. will 2.3 answerbook work under 2.3 hardware 5/94?

11. Upgrade from 2.1 directly to 2.3 or just install 2.3

12. Sol 2.3 to Sol 2.3 5/94 UPGRADE ?

13. glib-1.2.3 and gtk-1.2.3 install problem