New to Mac, How to partition with Messed up Mac install?

New to Mac, How to partition with Messed up Mac install?

Post by Dylan Etki » Sun, 09 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I have a Mac but the hard drive is from a different mac.  Needless to
say the Mac OS is all messed up.  I just want to install Linux but I
can't seem to get any partition utilities to work.
    Any suggestions??

Thanks

Post by lightspee » Fri, 19 May 2000 04:00:00

> I have a Mac but the hard drive is from a different mac.  Needless to
> say the Mac OS is all messed up.  I just want to install Linux but I
> can't seem to get any partition utilities to work.
>     Any suggestions??

> Thanks

What distro are you trying to install? If you have Linuxppc 2000 you
can boot from the Cd (hold down the c key at startup) and partition
from Linux.
What's messed up about the OS?  What kind of a Mac is it? etc, etc,

Lightspeed

New to Mac, How to partition with Messed up Mac install?

Post by Hammond, Robin-Davi » Mon, 05 Jun 2000 04:00:00

have you tried pdisk?

> I have a Mac but the hard drive is from a different mac.  Needless to
> say the Mac OS is all messed up.  I just want to install Linux but I
> can't seem to get any partition utilities to work.
>     Any suggestions??

> Thanks

1. comp.sys.mac.misc comp.sys.mac.system comp.sys.mac.apps

We're looking for input on a decent Mac with ethernet to Unix file transfer
utility.  At present we're using the gatorbox, but the Appletalk speed is
clearly unsuited for our pruposes, that is transferring large sounds files
from the Mac to our Unix servers.  We have some Macs with Ethernet Cards,
and have tried uShare and InterCon's Mac NFS.  A quick summary of these two:

uShare runs on the Sun 4, and fires up some atp daemons that allow the Macs
on Ethernet to mount Unix disks.  However, it seems pretty buggy, prone to
crash and isn't all that easy to configure or use. But it's just one piece
of costly software that runs on the Sun.

Mac NFS lives on the mac, takes a bit of configuring to get running, but once
in place it seems to work.  However, it's over $200/pop, and that could get
pretty pricey, given the number of Mac at our site.

Does anybody have any experience with these products or their competitors?

this is YOUR CHANCE to contribute your wisdom for the good of all.  Your

Rick Kleffel

2. Using HP Deskjet 890C on FreeBSD Ver. 3.2

3. How do I mount a Mac volume or export a partition to a Mac?

4. New Monitor

5. MAC OS 9, MAC OS X and linuxppc 2000

6. PC vs. MAC what is the big deal

7. Mac/Unix shell needed (no, I dont have a mac...)

8. What high-end computer to buy for Linux?

9. How to install w/o a Mac partition?

10. ( Want a Mac Interface..?..get a Mac...! )

11. NetBSD/Mac or other Mac PD UNIX

12. WINDOWS...TRYING TO EMULATE MAC FROM THE START -- & MAC stole idea from C-64

13. Windoze 95 ( Want a Mac Interface..?..get a Mac)