MDK 9.1 install on iMac -- HELP!

Post by GR Gaudrea » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 23:09:05

I'm trying to install MDK 9.1 on an iMac. I meet the system
Requirements, no problem.

First, none of the GUI options will work. When I try the gui options,
the install screen is discolored, too large and out of focus.

Second, when I try the text-based install, the screen is okay and I
get through the first question, i.e., the install source, which is
CDROM.

It's when I hit the language selection screen that the problems begin.
I get an error message, something about bad input. Then, when I press
OK at the error message screen, the install brings me to the license
agreement, I accept the license, and then it takes me back to the
language selection screen to repeat the process endlessly. Any one
know what the solution could be, I'd appreciate any help? Thanks.

MDK 9.1 install on iMac -- HELP!

Post by Whom » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 06:31:52

> I'm trying to install MDK 9.1 on an iMac. I meet the system
> Requirements, no problem.

> First, none of the GUI options will work. When I try the gui options,
> the install screen is discolored, too large and out of focus.

> Second, when I try the text-based install, the screen is okay and I
> get through the first question, i.e., the install source, which is
> CDROM.

> It's when I hit the language selection screen that the problems begin.
> I get an error message, something about bad input. Then, when I press
> OK at the error message screen, the install brings me to the license
> agreement, I accept the license, and then it takes me back to the
> language selection screen to repeat the process endlessly. Any one
> know what the solution could be, I'd appreciate any help? Thanks.

(1) At the end of the Mandrake-ppc.html (CD), it says:

r128 based machines - try install-gui gui-old video=atyfb128

Did you try that one?

(2) Otherwise, try the video modes as described there:

http://www.wrietman.com/ibook/index.html?main

(3) Text install: what is the error message?

MDK 9.1 install on iMac -- HELP!

Post by grgau » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 06:51:43

<snip>

Quote:> > It's when I hit the language selection screen that the problems begin.
> > I get an error message, something about bad input. Then, when I press
> > OK at the error message screen, the install brings me to the license
> > agreement, I accept the license, and then it takes me back to the
> > language selection screen to repeat the process endlessly. Any one
> > know what the solution could be, I'd appreciate any help? Thanks.

> (1) At the end of the Mandrake-ppc.html (CD), it says:

> r128 based machines - try install-gui gui-old video=atyfb128

> Did you try that one?

> (2) Otherwise, try the video modes as described there:

> http://www.wrietman.com/ibook/index.html?main

> (3) Text install: what is the error message?

[grgaud]
Great, thanks, I'll try that and let you know what happens! :-)

P.S. Another care of RTFM. ;-)

--
True e-mail address: transop at sympatico dot ca

MDK 9.1 install on iMac -- HELP!

Post by grgau » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 10:52:43

To those who helped me out, thank you, I appreciate the help. To
"Whom" who sent me the help I needed to complete the install, my
thanks, it worked. The CD booted the GUI install and I was able to
install Linux. I have to say, though, that after working with OS X for
a while, neither KDE nor GNOME can measure up. I've used Linux for a
couple of years on my PC and I thought it might be different on the
Mac, but no. I prefer OS X and I think I'll stick to it. Anyway,
thanks a lot for the help.

--
True e-mail address: transop at sympatico dot ca