HELP ME!!!...Wanna use Linux on RS6000 I have...but know nothing about RS6000'...!!!

HELP ME!!!...Wanna use Linux on RS6000 I have...but know nothing about RS6000'...!!!

Post by clau » Sun, 22 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hi

Okay, so someone gave me a Rs-6000. I don't know nothing about these
machines...I do know about several other type of computers and Linux
etc...

Okay so who can help me...model is a 7012 "powerserver 320H" written
on front...I went to a web page about Rs6000' and I know what it is
supposed to be...originally...

I have 0 manuals. I did not get a monitor or a keyboard with box...

Here are the questions:

I am getting no video at all when powering up machine. Unit seems to
have a video card (silicon graphics ?) with a VGA connector and
connectors for some high ends monitors (looks like some kind of tiny
RCA - not familliar with these...) Can I plug in a standard VGA/SVGA
monitor and get video -- in the VGA connector, of course...really
should I be getting some video at the start? error messages etc???

Can I use a "standard" keyboard with PS2 style connector to the
Rs-6000? I seem to be getting no response from the one I plugged
in...It was checked on a PC and works fine...

What should be happening really?....I hear the 2 scsi drives spinning,
I hear them seeking away, several codes fly by on front panel and then
unit shows no codes and drives stop seeking after a while...Is this
"normal"???

Any other tips???

I really wanna get this thing going to run Linux on it...Or if the
port does not run on this model, I will go with AIX...but I would like
linux more...

Thanks for reading...
Claude

Post by Michael Staa » Sun, 22 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>Okay so who can help me...model is a 7012 "powerserver 320H" written
>on front...I went to a web page about Rs6000' and I know what it is
>supposed to be...originally...
>I have 0 manuals. I did not get a monitor or a keyboard with box...
>Here are the questions:
>I am getting no video at all when powering up machine. Unit seems to
>have a video card (silicon graphics ?) with a VGA connector and
>connectors for some high ends monitors (looks like some kind of tiny
>RCA - not familliar with these...) Can I plug in a standard VGA/SVGA
>monitor and get video -- in the VGA connector, of course...really
>should I be getting some video at the start? error messages etc???

I dont know that kind of graphics adapter with both VGA and another
connector, but I if the "VGA" connector is really a video output, yes,
you can connect a SVGA Multisync monitor, provided its not too old,
because the resolution and frequency are higher than standard VGA.

Quote:>Can I use a "standard" keyboard with PS2 style connector to the
>Rs-6000? I seem to be getting no response from the one I plugged
>in...It was checked on a PC and works fine...

That depends. On the keyboard and the level of the operating
system. In comp.unix.aix you can read everything from "does not work"
up to "no problem". Note, in all cases you will miss the speaker,
which is bulitin into the original RS/6000 keyboard, not the CPU case.
It's worth a try.

Quote:>What should be happening really?....I hear the 2 scsi drives spinning,
>I hear them seeking away, several codes fly by on front panel and then
>unit shows no codes and drives stop seeking after a while...Is this
>"normal"???

Yes, sounds good. The codes in the LED display show the boot progress while
the graphics adapter is not initialized. The last code should be c32,
which means "I have found a console". From that point you can read
messages on the screen.

Quote:>Any other tips???
>I really wanna get this thing going to run Linux on it...Or if the
>port does not run on this model, I will go with AIX...but I would like
>linux more...

1. Linux wont run. Beside the fact, that the machine has a "Power"
processor with microchannel, not a PPC with PCI, no other hardware of
the machine is supported by Linux.

2. AIX is great. For example, I assume you switched the box off
without a proper shutdown. Because of the journaled file system of
AIX, this usually does no harm at all. Linux has no jfs. Etc.

--
Michael Staats, Theoretical Physics, Uni-GH Duisburg

Bitte keine Artikel ins Usenet und gleichzeitig als email verschicken. Danke.
Please dont post articles to Usenet and as email simultaneously. Thanks.

1. IBM RS6000 43P-100 , looking to buy a used RS6000 machine

Looking to buy a used RS6000

Hello people,

I am a newbie to AIX , just cleared AIX test 191 , was practising on a
old (leased from a friend)powerstation 220 for the test.

Now i am interested in getting a used RS6000 machine as i planning to
load AIX 5L, version5.1 on it and add it to my home network . of a
linux/2K setup. This machine will be mainly used to learn RS6000
installation/configuration(which i already know to an extent),
internetworkign with linux and windows platforms.

I found IBM RS6000 43P-100 100mhz/160mb/2.2GB/FD/CD on ebay . Will
this work with a regular VGA monitor?
I heard all the 43P's and above are PCI based and work with regular
monitors and keyboards and not IBM propriety ones. Please help , or
suggest a different configuration ,

thanks
spk

2. Building Solaris kernel

3. RS6000 to RS6000 ppp or slip - won't dial with modem

4. sendmail config -- what am I doing wrong?

5. 2-RS6000's - Need to Know Value

6. Help for Newbies

7. Copying from one RS6000 (59H) to another RS6000 (H70)

8. High School needs Altos support

9. Re. Problems adding tape drives to RS6000/220 Re: Problems adding tape drives to RS6000/220

10. Try PC's scsi disk using on RS6000 ?

11. Port 'C' application from RS6000 to Linux

12. Hooking up Macintoshs and other 3 pin terminal to RS6000's - Help