LinuxPPC in Performa 6400, anyone?

Post by apena.. » Wed, 29 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I am planing to migrate from Mac OS to LinuxPPC, but I would like some
impressions of people who has it (or use to have it) installed in a
Performa 6400. Is LinuxPPC faster than the Mac OS in a Performa 6400? Is
there any installation issue or hardware problem (sound, video, drive,
etc.). E-mail me. Thanks.

LinuxPPC in Performa 6400, anyone?

Post by Aaron J Rus » Wed, 29 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Please e:mail me if you have experience with this too.  I am also
interested.  Thanks.

--A.

      '\                   .  .                        |>18>>
        \              .         ' .                   |
       O>>         .                 'o                |
        \       .                                      |
        /\    .                                        |
       / /  .'                                         |
    ^^^^^^^`^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Senior, Dept. of Chemistry           Anticipated graduation date: Dec. '00
*ia Commonwealth University

Quote:

Post by RudeSk » Wed, 29 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> I am planing to migrate from Mac OS to LinuxPPC, but I would like some
> impressions of people who has it (or use to have it) installed in a
> Performa 6400. Is LinuxPPC faster than the Mac OS in a Performa 6400? Is
> there any installation issue or hardware problem (sound, video, drive,
> etc.). E-mail me. Thanks.

I thought the Performa 6400 was 68k based.  If it is I recommend checking
out OpenBSD.

Post by Adrian Penal » Thu, 30 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> > I am planing to migrate from Mac OS to LinuxPPC, but I would like some
> > impressions of people who has it (or use to have it) installed in a
> > Performa 6400. Is LinuxPPC faster than the Mac OS in a Performa 6400? Is
> > there any installation issue or hardware problem (sound, video, drive,
> > etc.). E-mail me. Thanks.

> I thought the Performa 6400 was 68k based.  If it is I recommend checking
> out OpenBSD.

No, the Performa 6400 is a PowerPC 603e machine with PCI bus.

Post by Matthew Pritzke » Thu, 30 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> > I am planing to migrate from Mac OS to LinuxPPC, but I would like some
> > impressions of people who has it (or use to have it) installed in a
> > Performa 6400. Is LinuxPPC faster than the Mac OS in a Performa 6400? Is
> > there any installation issue or hardware problem (sound, video, drive,
> > etc.). E-mail me. Thanks.

> I thought the Performa 6400 was 68k based.  If it is I recommend checking
> out OpenBSD.

Easy way to remember: if the number of the Mac/Performa has 3 digits,
it's 68k-based; if it has 4 digits, it's PowerPC-based.

--
--------------------
Matthew Pritzker           Graduate Research Assistant

LinuxPPC in Performa 6400, anyone?

Post by jon bricke » Thu, 30 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I just installed on a Performa 6400/180

It seems to be fine but I'm still working things out.
Right now I can't mount the cdrom but it knows it's there.

> > > I am planing to migrate from Mac OS to LinuxPPC, but I would like some
> > > impressions of people who has it (or use to have it) installed in a
> > > Performa 6400. Is LinuxPPC faster than the Mac OS in a Performa 6400? Is
> > > there any installation issue or hardware problem (sound, video, drive,
> > > etc.). E-mail me. Thanks.

> > I thought the Performa 6400 was 68k based.  If it is I recommend checking
> > out OpenBSD.

> Easy way to remember: if the number of the Mac/Performa has 3 digits,
> it's 68k-based; if it has 4 digits, it's PowerPC-based.

> --
> --------------------
> Matthew Pritzker           Graduate Research Assistant

--
Jon Bricker

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
--Benjamin Franklin

LinuxPPC in Performa 6400, anyone?

Post by David Hil » Fri, 08 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I'm running R5 on my 6400 (6400/180 512K L2, 104MB RAM) with no problems.
I've got it installed on a 2.1GB Seagate'Cudda that is installed in my
upper drive bay via internal SCSI. The HD is partitioned with 1GB for
Linux, 96MB for swap, and the other GB for Mac HFS. I duel boot via BootX
rather successfully, though at the moment I can only do so at intail
startup or restart. I get some error about the SCSI bus refreshing  or
something.

I did have prolems installing with the X based installer and ended up using
the Redhat installer OK.

Also I've found that for Xconfigurator to best recognize my ATi Xclaim 3D
card that the resolution need to be set at it highest (from Mac side before
I run Xconfig.)or it only recognizes 1 of the 4MB.

I have found that it is best to boot into single user mode with "no video
driver" checked and then go into user mode 5 via "init 5". This just seems
less confusingfor me and the machine. I had numerous X based issues before
when I was trying to pass kernel arguments in BootX.

I have not really attempted to get sound to work.

I do feel that it is more robust than MacOS 8.6.

If i can be of any further help let me know.

--
David

"All the fires that crackle here consume but do not burn. All light and no
heat, and I just want to get warm"
Mark Heard

Post by tander.. » Fri, 08 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> I am planing to migrate from Mac OS to LinuxPPC, but I would like some
> impressions of people who has it (or use to have it) installed in a
> Performa 6400. Is LinuxPPC faster than the Mac OS in a Performa 6400? Is
> there any installation issue or hardware problem (sound, video, drive,
> etc.). E-mail me. Thanks.

I am running a LinuxPPC on a 6400/200 that has been upgraded with a Vimage
G3/240 and it works fine (the MacOS switches the processor to the G3 BEFORE
booting into Linux).  I use it almost all the time now unless I need to do
something on the Mac that I just can't do with Linux (like download
pictures from my camera).  Generally it feels faster (I use Netscape a lot)
and is more robust (stays up for weeks at a time until I reboot).

~Tom

LinuxPPC in Performa 6400, anyone?

Post by Heinz Nabiele » Fri, 15 Oct 1999 04:00:00

LinuxPPC 1999 Q3 runs fine in my 6400/200 as did
previous linuxPPC version.

MkLinux was funny: for a long time, it just would
not install (and I have good experience with MkLinux
on NuBus Macs), on top of R5 it was dead easy.

That computer gave me a lot of trouble
early on, delivered with Mac OS 7.3 und
gradually upgraded to 8.6, but with loads
of breakdowns.

Linux runs very stable. Only one weakness
of all Mac-Linuxes: the cc compiler does
not produce terribly fast code (has been
improving over the years). Metroworks
on the MacOS side makes much faster programs
(but then the 603e chip is not computationally
efficient).

Still, Linux is fine and stable on the 6400.

Post by EdWI » Fri, 15 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> I am planing to migrate from Mac OS to LinuxPPC, but I would like
> some
> impressions of people who has it (or use to have it) installed in a
> Performa 6400. Is LinuxPPC faster than the Mac OS in a Performa
> 6400? Is
> there any installation issue or hardware problem (sound, video,
> drive,
> etc.). E-mail me. Thanks.

I installed LinuxPPC on my Performa 6400.   It had a lot of problems,
and even when it did work right, it was dog slow.

Post by Ric » Sat, 16 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> > I am planing to migrate from Mac OS to LinuxPPC, but I would like
> > some
> > impressions of people who has it (or use to have it) installed in a
> > Performa 6400. Is LinuxPPC faster than the Mac OS in a Performa
> > 6400? Is
> > there any installation issue or hardware problem (sound, video,
> > drive,
> > etc.). E-mail me. Thanks.

> I installed LinuxPPC on my Performa 6400.   It had a lot of problems,
> and even when it did work right, it was dog slow.

Then your 6400 must have been dog slow. As for LinuxPPC, the problems
are many.

LinuxPPC in Performa 6400, anyone?

Post by Heinz Nabiele » Tue, 26 Oct 1999 04:00:00

My new linuxPPC 1999 Q3 runs fine and fast
on my Performa 6400/200;
but so did the previous R4.
Even my ancient 7100/66AV does a
pretty good job with MkLinux.
Heinz

> > I am planing to migrate from Mac OS to LinuxPPC, but I would like
> > some
> > impressions of people who has it (or use to have it) installed in a
> > Performa 6400. Is LinuxPPC faster than the Mac OS in a Performa
> > 6400? Is
> > there any installation issue or hardware problem (sound, video,
> > drive,
> > etc.). E-mail me. Thanks.

> I installed LinuxPPC on my Performa 6400.   It had a lot of problems,
> and even when it did work right, it was dog slow.

1. Mount point - Install LinuxPPC (Performa 6400)

Can anyone tell me how to define the "mount point". I read in the
RedHatManual:

"The next dialog presents a list of most of the disk partitions on your
system (including MS-DOS and other partitions Linux can read), giving
you the opportunity to assign other partitions to different parts of the
filesystem. The partitions you assign will be automatically mounted when
your Red Hat Linux system boots. Select the partition you wish to assign
and press [Enter] (or choose Edit); then enter the mount point for that
partition, e.g., /usr (see Figure 12)."

So, is the "mount point" the name of the partition, which I assigned
when formatting ?

Thank you
Albert

2. X11R5 patch for Solaris 2.1 available

3. Network connections with LinuxPPC R4.1 on a Performa 6400

4. -o logging": important? Why defaulted OFF by Sun?

5. LinuxPPC 2000 Q4 installation on Performa 6400

6. RPC error doing mount

7. Performa 6400: LinuxPPC 2000 Q4 install issues

8. C++ linking

9. Performa 6400 w/ linuxppc

10. LinuxPPC install on a Performa 6400/200

11. X and Mac Performa 6400/180

12. GVC Teleport 56 w/ Performa 6400

13. Linux on Performa 6400/200