just got a G3/ need OS

Post by Matzen, Joh » Wed, 04 Apr 2001 01:12:03

So, I'm a total Mac newbie, and I just aquired a 400MHz G3 with 256MB RAM.
What's the first step to take to install Linux or OS/X (or both) on it?

I also have an AGP ATI Radeon that we bought for a PC system that I'm not
going to be using.  Will this card work in this system?

Thanks!

John

just got a G3/ need OS

Post by Dietmar Herrend?rfe » Fri, 06 Apr 2001 00:48:17

Hello,

Quote:> So, I'm a total Mac newbie, and I just aquired a 400MHz G3 with 256MB RAM.
> What's the first step to take to install Linux or OS/X (or both) on it?

As far as Linux goes the first step will be to decide which distribution
you want to use (Suse, Debian, Linuxppc, Mandrake, Yellow Dog, TurboLinux,
...). You may find many off these to be fairly similar as they are mostly
RedHat-Linux spin-offs with Debian ansd SuSE probably being the biggest
exceptions from this rule - well take this statement with care because I
do not know all of them.
At least there is only one MacOS X which makes the choice much simpler.

When installing any of the OSes, make sure to leave enough unused space on
the hard disk to hold the second OS in case you are going for a dual-boot
option (i.e. Linux + MacOS X).

Otherwise probably start reading the (relevant parts of the)
online-documentation, e.g. on http://www.linuxppc.org . The whole issue is
simply a bit too complex to sum it up in a few lines here.

Quote:> I also have an AGP ATI Radeon that we bought for a PC system that I'm not
> going to be using.  Will this card work in this system?

I doubt this very much. In general PC and MAC cards must have different
firmware on board in order to please the different CPUs/mainboards. There
might some (theoretical) chance if you manage to boot/install the base
system plus ATI specific video-card drivers "blind" (or using a Mac card).

Dietmar

1. YDL, OS X, and OS 9 on G3 beige desktop; can it be done?

Hi all,

I just purchased YDL and wish to have a triple boot system on my G3
Beige Desktop. OS X requires its installation to be on the first
partition but I seem to be having difficulty installing YDL. I have
installed BootX and I can get to the installation process from the YDL
CD but it indicates that it cannot read the partition table. It then
proceeds and appears as if it is going to take me to the GUI to
install but indicates it cannot import GLIBC_2.2.3.

I have partitioned as follows:

8GB HFS+ for OS X
1 GB HFS+
8 GB HFS+ for OS 9
14 GB HFS +
8 GB Unallocated for YDL

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,

Ed

2. Solaris: sendmail, bad protocol ??

3. LyX in OS X (was Re: Getting ready for OS X ...)

4. Slackware 1.2.0 and Adaptec 2840/2842 support

5. comp.os.linux, comp.os.linux.misc, comp.os.linux.security, comp.os.linux.networking

6. Unix-socket-faq for network programming

7. mac OS 9 workaround for yellowdoglinux on g3 pb ???

8. LILO accidently uninstalled

9. XFree86 4.0.2 -- Voodoo3 -- Beige G3 (am I getting close?)

10. Getting Started on a G3

11. Getting sound to work on blue G3

12. OF screen Alias for G3 (was Boot device on PM G3/233)

13. Powerlogix G3 ZIP 466/233 on Beige G3 + LinuxPPC 99