Umax C500 wont install R5

Post by Ric » Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I was wondering if anyone might have some idea why I cant get R5 (1999)
to install on my Umax C500...

BTW, I am VERY inexperienced with Linux

Umax C500 (basically a 6400/6599 clone)
96 megs RAM
Keyspan USB card
1.2 gig external SCSI - the Linux drive
SCSI external Zip

When I first tried to install from the CD, the installer went into a
SCSI bus timeout loop. I fixed that by DLing kernel 2.2.7. I also DLed
the Installer.

Now, when I install without adding a kernel arguement, it looks like the
RedHat installer starts, but when it tries to find the local CD to
install, it says the CD ROM is missing or busy.

I fixed that by using ;redhat as a kernel argument

The install goes along and at the very end, it says it found some ADB
mouse, and wants info on it. I give the info.. and at first I thought
the machine hung, but the second time it completed the process, after a
LONG wait, and rebooted.

I get this message...

swapon:cannot open /etc/fstab: no such file or directory

the superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct
filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else) then the superblock
is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate
superblock: e2fsck - b 8193 <device>

e2fsch: ls a directory while trying to open /

xauth:error in locking authority file /root/.Xauthority

hostname: Hostname lookup failure

xauth:error in locking authority file /root/.Xauthority

..... The I get a root maintenance login. i manually mouted all the
partitoins, and looked for fstab. It was not there. The system also said
mtabis not there. I tried to manually write an fstab, but I am very new,
and didnt realize the system read only message meant it wouldnt let me
write any files.

Cananyaone give me any help or insight?

any and all help is greatly appreciated.

1. Umax C500 not installing R5, HELP

I have tried several time to install R5 on my Umax C500. I have DLed
2.2.7 to fix a SCSI timeout loop in the first bit of the install. There
also seems to be a problem when I check for bad blocks with R5. 4.1 does
fine. I am able to get the install almost to the end, but it choked last
time looking for a mouse. I selected the 1 button ADB button, and the
emulate 3 button box, and the install stopped.

I have a Umax C500, 96 megs RAM, 1.2 gig external SCSI, USB card with
USB mouse.

From looking at the packages during the install, R5 looks like its would
be great. Any and all help appreciated.

2. Building a shared&static library

3. R5 on UMAX S900 install problem

4. port redirection using rinetd

5. LinuxPPC 4.1 on Umax c500

6. 4.4/4.5 installation trouble?

7. UMAX C500 and Ethernet

8. Help system died . . need to move a drvie to anothere sysetem. ..

9. MOL on Umax C500 (603e)

10. umax c500 ( APUS 2000)

11. UMAX C500/180...Anyone Try This?

12. MOL on 603e Umax C500...

13. USB Printer and Umax C500...what kerne?