Quake II under mkLinux and/or Linux/PPC

Post by Scott Corb » Sat, 31 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Anyone know if the Linux Quake II binaries can be made to run under
mkLinux and/or Linux PPC?

Post by Jeff Wo » Sun, 01 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> Anyone know if the Linux Quake II binaries can be made to run under
> mkLinux and/or Linux PPC?

They are binaries for linux-x86 and won't run on any other platform

Post by Jens Christian Restemeie » Tue, 03 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> Anyone know if the Linux Quake II binaries can be made to run under
> mkLinux and/or Linux PPC?

Should be possible, if someone provides a Linux/PPC box to Zoid.

                        Jens Ch. Restemeier

--
----
"Five to one against and falling ...  four to one against and falling

Post by Johannes Ramm-Ericso » Wed, 04 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> > Anyone know if the Linux Quake II binaries can be made to run under
> > mkLinux and/or Linux PPC?

> Should be possible, if someone provides a Linux/PPC box to Zoid.

On a similar note. You do realise that the source code to Doom for Linux
has been released by IdSoft? Anyone feel like porting it to MkLinux /
LinuxPPC? I would but I have other projects that are higher up on my
list...

/JRE

--
Johannes Ramm-Ericson
Ericsson Mobile Communications AB, Lund, Sweden

Quake II under mkLinux and/or Linux/PPC

Post by Christian Mittendo » Wed, 04 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>On a similar note. You do realise that the source code to Doom for Linux
>has been released by IdSoft? Anyone feel like porting it to MkLinux /

Yes, I dl the source yesterday :-) It is quite simple to compile, although
I detected a couple of errors. A "#define" statement in the byter order
swapping code was wrong!

H?lsningar,
christian
Christian Mittendorf              |           Ecosystem Research Center
Projensdorfer Strasse 155/406b    |                  University of Kiel

Post by Jens Christian Restemeie » Wed, 04 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> > > Anyone know if the Linux Quake II binaries can be made to run under
> > > mkLinux and/or Linux PPC?

> > Should be possible, if someone provides a Linux/PPC box to Zoid.

> On a similar note. You do realise that the source code to Doom for Linux
> has been released by IdSoft? Anyone feel like porting it to MkLinux /
> LinuxPPC? I would but I have other projects that are higher up on my
> list...

You're lucky...

I know two new DOOM projects for Linux:
GGI-DOOM:
DOOM using the new GGI graphics-API. Even if most Linux don't have the
KGI stuff, yet, you can use the X-target of GGI to run Doom in an
X-Window. Look here for more information:
http://synergy.foo.net/~ggi/
(BTW: Zoid mentioned to make a GGI version of Quake-II. Maybe that's yet
another reason to get KGI into Linux/PPC :-)

GNOME-DOOM:
A port of DOOM to GTK/GDK.
Look here for more information:
http://www.gnome.org/
Both version are available in source. All you need is to compile them...

                                Jens Ch. Restemeier

P.S.: Someone started to port Descend to GGI, too.

--
----

Post by Jeff Ruge » Wed, 04 Feb 1998 04:00:00

: On a similar note. You do realise that the source code to Doom for Linux
: has been released by IdSoft? Anyone feel like porting it to MkLinux /
: LinuxPPC? I would but I have other projects that are higher up on my
: list...

http://www.4front-tech.com/linuxppc.html
contains a link to a pre-built executable (which I haven't tried yet).

...Had this been an actual emergency, we would have fled in terror, and you
would not have been informed.

Post by Jelle Haandrikm » Sat, 07 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> > Anyone know if the Linux Quake II binaries can be made to run under
> > mkLinux and/or Linux PPC?
> Should be possible, if someone provides a Linux/PPC box to Zoid.

At www.linuxppc.org it says that they will offer a telnet account for
someone who wants to port something to linux ppc. Maybe that would be an
option.

greetz,
Jelle

                   Jelle Haandrikman          IRC: Breetai

                       http://www.Hzeeland.nl/~jhaand
      PGP Key is available at: http://www.HZeeland.nl/~jhaand/mij.html
                     Linux: The choice of a GNU generation

Post by Jens Christian Restemeie » Tue, 10 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> > > Anyone know if the Linux Quake II binaries can be made to run under
> > > mkLinux and/or Linux PPC?
> > Should be possible, if someone provides a Linux/PPC box to Zoid.

> At www.linuxppc.org it says that they will offer a telnet account for
> someone who wants to port something to linux ppc. Maybe that would be an
> option.

They can't be sure that someone else with root rights makes a copy of
the source.

                        Jens Ch. Restemeier

--
----

Post by Jens Christian Restemeie » Tue, 17 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> > Anyone know if the Linux Quake II binaries can be made to run under
> > mkLinux and/or Linux PPC?

> Should be possible, if someone provides a Linux/PPC box to Zoid.

Ok, I asked Zoid about a Linux/PPC version. He said, that he has no
other plans than a i386 version.
Maybe if someone provides a working Linux/PPC box to him...

His email is:

I contacted Westlake Interactive, too, because they're working on MacOS
versions (and have a Quake license because of that), if they could make
a Linux/PPC version, but got no replay, yet.

Westlake's email is:

(Please, if you are going to contact Zoid or Westlake: Be polite, and
email only if you're going to offer help.)

                Jens Ch. Restemeier

----

Post by Jerry Quin » Tue, 17 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> > > Anyone know if the Linux Quake II binaries can be made to run under
> > > mkLinux and/or Linux PPC?

> > Should be possible, if someone provides a Linux/PPC box to Zoid.

> Ok, I asked Zoid about a Linux/PPC version. He said, that he has no
> other plans than a i386 version.
> Maybe if someone provides a working Linux/PPC box to him...

The web site www.linuxppc.org mentions that they have a linuxppc box available
for developers to log into over the net if they wish to build their stuff for
PPC linux.  Check it out.

--
Jerry Quinn              Tel: (514) 761-8737

Speech Technology Infrastructure