LinuxPPC 2k install problems

LinuxPPC 2k install problems

Post by Jesse T Sheidlow » Thu, 24 Aug 2000 04:00:00



not-stupid-but-linux-newbie.macro

I'm trying to install LinuxPPC 2000 on my G3 PowerBook
(the "bronze" keyboard one, whatever it's called). I've
tried several times, and have eventually gotten to the
point where I believe I'm following the directions
accurately, but I'm still stuck.

I created partitions as instructed. I made my root
partition 1.1 GB, which now seems wrong, since, despite
the assurance that a full install was about 1 gig, a
full install actually seems to be more like 1.5. I created
swap, /home, and /boot (in HFS) partitions as well.

The package install, aside from being very slow, has
failed several times. The first time I tried almost
everything wouldn't load, so I quit and started over;
the next time, I only got a few problems at the end.
I then tried to reboot, but got  a "kernel panic error--
will reboot after 3 minutes" type message. I'm not exactly
sure what to try now.

Thanks for any advice. I realize that somewhat similar
questions have been posted often, but the various
solutions have either seemed not to apply, or have gone
over my head. I'm very eager to be running Linux (and
also, for that matter, to be able to reinstall my Mac
system so I can print out a few files....)

Jesse Sheidlower

 
 
 

LinuxPPC 2k install problems

Post by DiLL » Fri, 25 Aug 2000 04:00:00


Quote:> I'm trying to install LinuxPPC 2000 on my G3 PowerBook
> (the "bronze" keyboard one, whatever it's called).

if it has firewire, it's a Pismo, if not, it's a Lombard.

Quote:> I created partitions as instructed. I made my root
> partition 1.1 GB, which now seems wrong, since, despite
> the assurance that a full install was about 1 gig, a
> full install actually seems to be more like 1.5. I created
> swap, /home, and /boot (in HFS) partitions as well.

Are you really going to need the full install? Oh well, that's for you to
decide =]

I assume you have a list of partitions, FI /dev/hda5 = /, /dev/hda6 = swap
etc.
You'll need that.

Quote:> The package install, aside from being very slow, has
> failed several times. The first time I tried almost
> everything wouldn't load, so I quit and started over;
> the next time, I only got a few problems at the end.
> I then tried to reboot, but got  a "kernel panic error--
> will reboot after 3 minutes" type message. I'm not exactly
> sure what to try now.

Depends on what the real error message is. My guess: you haven't installed /
set up your boot loader correctly. Try to supply more info please =]

If using BootX: make sure there is a folder "Linux Kernels" in your MacOS
system folder and that it contains some Linux kernels (it will all be
installed when you run the LinuxPPC installer on the CD-ROM). Also make sure
that you specify the correct boot partition and that BootX is trying to boot
from a ramdisk image.
I couldn't tell you how to set up yaboot (the other option) just like that,
but there should be at least some sort of readme on the CD-ROM.

Hope it helps,

Max

 
 
 

LinuxPPC 2k install problems

Post by Michael Schmit » Fri, 25 Aug 2000 04:00:00



> > The package install, aside from being very slow, has
> > failed several times. The first time I tried almost
> > everything wouldn't load, so I quit and started over;
> > the next time, I only got a few problems at the end.
> > I then tried to reboot, but got  a "kernel panic error--
> > will reboot after 3 minutes" type message. I'm not exactly
> > sure what to try now.

> Depends on what the real error message is. My guess: you haven't installed /
> set up your boot loader correctly. Try to supply more info please =]

> If using BootX: make sure there is a folder "Linux Kernels" in your MacOS
> system folder and that it contains some Linux kernels (it will all be

The Pismo (if it's that) won't boot properly with BootX, use yaboot.
Even with the Lombard, use yaboot. Saves you a lot of grief with XFree
4.

        Michael

 
 
 

1. problem booting linuxPPC 2K after install...

Hi,

I have installed linuxPPC 2K (full) into my iBook, (i have created 2
partitions (1 for / and 1 for swap), "/" is /dev/hda9, but my iBook doesn't
boot linux. (with Boot'X) how can i do that ?

Thanks a lot for your help...

Thierry - FRANCE

2. Enabling PgUp, etc. in rxvt

3. install problem with LinuxPPC 2k & cdrom

4. Priorty/threading

5. Another problem with new linuxppc-2k install...

6. mouse install

7. Installing Linuxppc 2k: hda lost interrupt

8. KDE Font editor?

9. help with linuxppc 2k samba install

10. LinuxPPC 2k problems

11. X problem with LinuxPPC 2K

12. LinuxPPC 2K - Starting NFS daemon: nfssvc: Function not implimented

13. XConfigurator on Linuxppc 2k q4