LinuxPPC Lite/Live Problems on G3

Post by John Dole » Mon, 01 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I have a Rev 1 G3 minitower with an HFS 6 gb hard drive. I've tried
installing the lite version, but I just get a kernel panic error. I then
tried the live version, but it says it can't find the live.filesystem,
even though it is on my hard drive uncompressed. Is there something
wrong with my particular hard drive, or what?

LinuxPPC Lite/Live Problems on G3

Post by Brian DePard » Mon, 01 Feb 1999 04:00:00

John,

I had the same problem last night. Then I downloaded the
install document from the ftp directory where I got gunzip.

The problem I had was that I was trying to run it with
live.systemfile on my desktop. It needs to be in a folder on
the root of your hard drive.

Hope that helps,

Brian
--
Remember: Time is Nature's way of keeping everything from
happening at once.

----------

> I have a Rev 1 G3 minitower with an HFS 6 gb hard drive. I've
tried
> installing the lite version, but I just get a kernel panic error.
> then
> tried the live version, but it says it can't find the
> live.filesystem,
> even though it is on my hard drive uncompressed. Is there
something
> wrong with my particular hard drive, or what?

LinuxPPC Lite/Live Problems on G3

Post by John Dole » Tue, 02 Feb 1999 04:00:00

The live.filesystem isn't on my desktop, that's the strange thing. I've
tried it in both the LinuxPPC folder and the root folder.

> John,

> I had the same problem last night. Then I downloaded the
> install document from the ftp directory where I got gunzip.

> The problem I had was that I was trying to run it with
> live.systemfile on my desktop. It needs to be in a folder on
> the root of your hard drive.

> Hope that helps,

> Brian
> --
> Remember: Time is Nature's way of keeping everything from
> happening at once.

> ----------

> > I have a Rev 1 G3 minitower with an HFS 6 gb hard drive. I've
> tried
> > installing the lite version, but I just get a kernel panic error.
> > then
> > tried the live version, but it says it can't find the
> > live.filesystem,
> > even though it is on my hard drive uncompressed. Is there
> something
> > wrong with my particular hard drive, or what?

LinuxPPC Lite/Live Problems on G3

Post by John Leadl » Tue, 02 Feb 1999 04:00:00

John,

I have had EXACTLY the same experience with both Lite and Live on my
G3/266 Desktop. Live worked just fine on my 6500 at home, and I am not
doing anything different on the G3. Glancing at the reports that flash by
on the screen, it looks like it is having trouble with the disk
formatting, which Get Info reports as Mac OS Standard, not HFS Plus. I was
planning on getting the version 5 CD, which will also have live booting,
but am wondering if it will also fail.

Post by Mark Obsni » Fri, 05 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>John,
>I have had EXACTLY the same experience with both Lite and Live on my
>G3/266 Desktop. Live worked just fine on my 6500 at home, and I am not
>doing anything different on the G3. Glancing at the reports that flash by
>on the screen, it looks like it is having trouble with the disk
>formatting, which Get Info reports as Mac OS Standard, not HFS Plus. I was
>planning on getting the version 5 CD, which will also have live booting,
>but am wondering if it will also fail.

 I have a G3 and have had both lite and live running just fine. I am using
the same partition that lite was installed into. Zero problems. Just how
do you get the balsted thing to network now?

Mark

1. Anyone have this problem with LinuxPPC DR4-lite and Powerbook G3

I have installed Linux on the internal IDE drive and things are much less
stable than when I used it off an external SCSI Jazz drive the two
symptoms:

- Linux failes to restart the machine properly (after shutdown and
restart), and my Powerbook clock gets way garbaged (it thinks its either
1930 or 2030!).

- One a couple of occasions the data on the Linux has stated that the data
on the boot drive was damaged (although Linux was shut down properly on
each previous boot).

Anyone else?

Edmund Pirali
Intelligent Devices, Inc.

2. kerneld + ftape.o = ?

3. Ethernet on a Powerbook G3 / LinuxPPC 2000 Lite

4. mouse problems

5. LinuxPPC Live 4.0 on PowerBook G3 Series

6. Want to know how compatable my pc is for Linux OS

7. LinuxPPC vs. LinuxPPC Lite

8. Caldera Linux on Libretto

9. Powerlogix G3 ZIP 466/233 on Beige G3 + LinuxPPC 99

10. Problems installing linuxPPC lite - sequencer ram parity error?

11. linuxppc lite install problem

12. mac on linux problem in linuxppc 2000 Lite on an imac

13. install problem LinuxPPC lite