R5 iMac & X Woes

Post by Matthias Elling » Thu, 08 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> I *was* running GNOME & KDE just fine until I ran Xautoconfig. Ever since, X
> dies at startup with the following:
 (...)

You should be able to fix that by botting Linux in single mode (put
single in the BootX kerbnel
--
Matthias Ellinger, violin

http://home.knUUt.de/m.ellinger

R5 iMac & X Woes

Post by Segfaul » Thu, 08 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> You should be able to fix that by botting Linux in single mode (put
> single in the BootX kerbnel

One of the first things I did after I installed R5 was to edit /etc/inittab
to go to runlevel 3 rather than 5 so that's not an issue.

The problem is X is seriously broken.

----------------
Gassho!
Ted & Liz

R5 iMac & X Woes

Post by Stephane Morva » Thu, 08 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Try to fix your XF86Config file manually, or use the backup you made :P.
Use fbset to find out what to put in the file. If this does not work, as
it's likely it won't, ask somebody's XF86Config file.

--
Stephane Morvan

This email adress can not be used for unsollicited, unrelevant junk emails.
Remove whatever you think is odd in my email address to respond....

* WWW   : http://www.vr.clemson.edu/~smorvan                *
* IVECS homepage: http://design.vr.clemson.edu/ivecs/       *

1. iMac Woes On R5

<RANT> I've been wrestling with this stupid thing for the past two days and
have experienced all manner of flakiness. The Slackware dist that I
installed on my peecee for the first time ever a couple of years ago went
smoother than this. Hell, the initial R4 iMac port worked better than this.
This whole thing reeks of a rush job.</RANT>

Here's what I've seen so far:

1. GNOME/Enlightenment is *SLOW* and unstable (in No Video Driver mode).
I've had the X server die on me at least 3 times so far. Once starting emacs
(non-X). Once starting gEdit. Once starting an app in the KDE menu. KDE
screamed with R4 & was rock solid.
2. When I uncheck No Video Driver & add video=atyfb:vmode:17  to the kernel
arguments (yes I first ran Xautoconfig in single user mode), the screen goes
blank right after the init sequence. This didn't happen before. I have to
paper clip the dang thing to restart cuz I can't see anything.
3. For some stupid reason, if you put you swap & home partitions before your
root partition, you can't log on. It just goes into an endless login prompt
loop (I know I was typing the pword in right, because when I typed it in
wrong I got an error message as well). Switching the partitions around to
root/home/swap worked. Don't ask me why.
4. Linux won't even boot if I have my ContourMouse plugged in. It wigs out
during the USB detection sequence. Doesn't mind my iKey though.
5. If you start an install and then bail out, you have to trash the BootX
file in your preferences folder *each time* before you start the install
process again. You also need to do a save to preferences before you boot
into the Linux install. Otherwise, the boot sequence hangs about halfway
through.

Any other iMac users out there with similar probs/workarounds?

----------------
Gassho!
Ted & Liz

2. DIP -t Error: What's wrong?

3. XF86 Config set-up woes & woes & woes

4. Sound in KDE and X?

5. ppp connection with R5 on iMac, saving Gimp doc

6. "lpr: cannot access pana" ... but it does!

7. LinuxPPC R5 on an iMac

8. Solaris 2.6 / Informix / KAIO

9. HD Install of pre R5 on iMac

10. R4 to R5 on an iMac

11. Installing R5 over R4 on iMac problems

12. INSTALL: R5 problem on a imac

13. r5 on iMac