strange yaboot problem. help appreciated

strange yaboot problem. help appreciated

Post by Michael E. Stor » Sat, 13 Jan 2001 09:58:50

Sometimes when Linux crashes (can't even get to the kernel with
ctrl-alt-del to shutdown) and I am forced to restart, yaboot will boot
up but say it cannot find the configuration file, other times it works.
When this happens, I am forced to boot of of a Mac CD, set the start-up
drive, and reboot.  (BTW, this is the only way I have to switch back to
Mac as well, because despite what everyone tells me, holding down ALT
does nothing on my early Lombard).

Every time the config file is not found, when I reboot using a mac CD and
check the startup disk there is none selected.  I can also create the
same problem with yaboot by zapping the p-ram.

I've reached the conclusion that if there is no startup disk in the
p-ram, it finds /boot and starts up yaboot, but yaboot cannot find the
config file.  Why would this be?

can you give yaboot a path to the config file that would work all the
time?  can you set the startup drive from the yaboot menu or from open
firmware (I've never played with OF . . . it is terra incognita for me).

Since holding down ALT does not work on my machine, is there a way to
specify the start-up disk in linux for the next restart?

Mike

Post by Mark Trac » Sun, 14 Jan 2001 15:43:56

> Sometimes when Linux crashes (can't even get to the kernel with
> ctrl-alt-del to shutdown) and I am forced to restart, yaboot will boot
> up but say it cannot find the configuration file, other times it works.
> When this happens, I am forced to boot of of a Mac CD, set the start-up
> drive, and reboot.  (BTW, this is the only way I have to switch back to
> Mac as well, because despite what everyone tells me, holding down ALT
> does nothing on my early Lombard).

> Every time the config file is not found, when I reboot using a mac CD
> and check the startup disk there is none selected.  I can also create
> the same problem with yaboot by zapping the p-ram.

> I've reached the conclusion that if there is no startup disk in the
> p-ram, it finds /boot and starts up yaboot, but yaboot cannot find the
> config file.  Why would this be?

> can you give yaboot a path to the config file that would work all the
> time?  can you set the startup drive from the yaboot menu or from open
> firmware (I've never played with OF . . . it is terra incognita for me).

> Since holding down ALT does not work on my machine, is there a way to
> specify the start-up disk in linux for the next restart?

> Mike

First let me warn you that yaboot lets you succeed in several different
ways, and therefore the advise you get may not all be consistent. I can
tell you what I did...

First read this:
//lists.linuxppc.org/listarts/linuxppc-user/200003/msg01193.html

I modified the procedure a bit from what is in this excellent, if
slightly out of date document. The syntax and filenames have changed some
from when this was written.

I made a small hfs partition just for booting, and installed all the
stuff there. This provides some insulation from crashes; and I have had
some really dirty ones without hosing my yaboot.

You can install a modified version of the boot script ofboot.b that
allows you to select your OS at boot time. It's only slightly tricky.

On a final note, the path variables for the booting process are stored in
p-ram as you suspected. If you end up in OF with a lost system, you can
type them in:
  setenv boot-command boot
  setenv boot-file hd:6,vmlinux
  setenv boot-device hd:6,ofboot.b
  boot
is what I used. Your setup will be different, but you get the idea.

Just for reference here are my boot script and yaboot.conf:

<CHRP-BOOT>
<COMPATIBLE>
iMac,1 PowerMac1,1 PowerBook1,1 PowerMac2,1 PowerMac2,2 PowerMac3,1 PowerMac3,2 PowerMac3,3 PowerBook2,1 PowerBook3,1
</COMPATIBLE>
<DESCRIPTION>
GNU/Linux First Stage PowerPC Bootstrap
</DESCRIPTION>
<BOOT-SCRIPT>
: bootyaboot " Loading second stage bootstrap..." fb8-write 100 ms " boot hd:6,yaboot.b" eval ;
: bootmacos " Booting MacOS..." fb8-write 100 ms " boot hd:7,\\:tbxi" eval ;
: bootCD " Booting MacOS from CD..." fb8-write 100 ms " boot cd:,\\:tbxi" eval ;
variable hackcrlfvar 0d0a0a0d hackcrlfvar !
: hackcrlf hackcrlfvar 2 fb8-write ;
variable interactive
1 interactive !

  bootyaboot
then

" First stage GNU/Linux bootstrap" fb8-write off hackcrlf
"  " fb8-write off hackcrlf
" Press L for GNU/Linux," fb8-write off hackcrlf
"       M for MacOS," fb8-write off hackcrlf
"       C for CD." fb8-write off hackcrlf
"  " fb8-write off hackcrlf
" Boot: " fb8-write off
get-secs 10 +
begin
  key? if
    key
    dup ascii l = if hackcrlf bootyaboot then
    dup ascii m = if bootmacos then
    dup ascii c = if bootCD then
    off
  then
  dup get-secs - 0 = if bootyaboot then
repeat
</BOOT-SCRIPT>
</CHRP-BOOT>

boot=/dev/hda6
ofboot=hd:6
macos=hd:7
device=hd:
timeout=100
delay=10
install=/boot/yaboot
magicboot=/boot/ofboot.b

image=hda:6,vmlinux
        label=Linux
        root=/dev/hda10
        append="video=atyfb:vmode=17"

image=hda:6,vmlinux.e
        label=Experimental_Linux
        root=/dev/hda10
        append="video=atyfb:vmode=17"

Hope you find this useful,
Mark Tracy

1. Help please - strange FTP problem - any help much appreciated :)

I have a RedHat 7.3 fully updated linuxbox.  I had ProFTP running in
standalone mode perfectly, and I could log on from the office to the
linuxbox which is at home - no probs.

Then I had a HD problem (SMART error warning of impending HD failure)
which caused me to return the HD under warranty and replace it with a
bigger one. (40 Gb vs 20 for the original one).  The tech shop imaged my
original HD then cloned it onto the new one.  Of course, the partition
info was all wrong, but using Webmin, I was able to add the extra space
as a new partition, and all seems to work OK with this one exception.
Hence my problem:

When I try to log on to ProFTP now, all I get is an error message along
the lines of "Machine doesn't recognise a simple FTP command" plus some
other gibberish - I can't remember exactly as I'm at home at the moment,
and on the linux box.  I've re-installed ProFTP, installed the latest
upgrade (1.2.7 RC1) but the problem remains.  I've tried Googling the
error message to no avail.  I've searched every Linux book I have to no
avail - no mention of such an error message or what it means.

gftp and webmin both show that the ProFTP daemon is running OK.  The conf
file is unaltered from when it all worked before.  I've just upgraded to
the latest kernel from RHN, etc etc - but still no worky :((

I've tried to figure it out for myself, but as a newbie, I'm finally
stumped.  Could one of you gurus out there shed any light on this
problem, please?

If all fails, what is involved with a re-install of Red Hat 7.3?  Can I
just install over the top of the existing one, as in Windows, or will it
destroy all my data, programs, preferences, etc etc?  What about if RH
install wants to re-partition the newer bigger HD - what do I tell it to
do?  I suspect that somewhere deep in the bowels of the machine there
lurks a problem to do with the ports - I use a non-standard FTP port by
the way (port 12345) and I have the range of passive ports set in ProFTP
to 30000-30050, as my hardware firewall won't let me use active FTP.
This is the system that worked fine before.

All help much apopreciated - thanks :))
--

NightStalker

2. Need Help Changing IP address

3. strange behavior with ServerRoot directive - any help appreciated!

4. Sonic Impact S90 support

5. A strange yaboot problem

6. FTP User

7. yaboot/yaboot.conf?

8. adding packages from CD

9. Samba - XP problem - appreciate the help!

10. Odd problem with vi, would appreciate help

11. inet_aton() function problems Any help appreciated!

12. 3 small problems. Help appreciated

13. .cw/.cf config problem with local & internet hostname - help appreciated