ibook sound

Post by s » Fri, 10 Aug 2001 13:24:33

Is there any solution for sound on the new ibook 500's?  Commercial
support?  I am one step away from buying one of these babies, but I
don't want to run OS9.1, OS X is too slow on an iBook.  This leaves me
with linux :), which is fine with me, as I have been running Debian for
two years now.

But I am not really into paying for the DVD option of the ibook, if
I can't even get sound!  It is a pity if sound doesn't work, as feature
for feature, iBook is the best value in laptops right now (regardles of
architecture).

~Martin

ibook sound

Post by step.. » Sat, 11 Aug 2001 22:36:46

> Is there any solution for sound on the new ibook 500's?  Commercial
> support?  I am one step away from buying one of these babies, but I
> don't want to run OS9.1, OS X is too slow on an iBook.  This leaves me
> with linux :), which is fine with me, as I have been running Debian for
> two years now.
> But I am not really into paying for the DVD option of the ibook, if
> I can't even get sound!  It is a pity if sound doesn't work, as feature
> for feature, iBook is the best value in laptops right now (regardles of
> architecture).

Sound for the ibook doesn't work at this time. See the first hack:
http://yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au/~pfh/ibook/sound.html

1. iBook Sound works!

Hi,

I just found a dmasound.o module which works on my iBook. You can find
it here:

http://students.washington.edu/mpalczew/

I downloaded the modules package, and extracted just the
misc/dmasound.o. It is for an older version of the Benh 2.2.x kernel,
but it also works with newer versions with 'insmod -f  dmasound.o'

Many thanks to Mike Palczewski for his great work! I waited for sound
support for half a year.

I can play sound with xmms now. The mixer device doesn't work, but you
can set the volume with xmms's equalizer.

Bye,
 Stefan Heimers

2. Newbie: Compile Libraries...

3. Sorry, ibook sound again

4. Cancel "Linux Disks"

5. installing linux on the ibook2 (ibook dual usb, ibook 500, etc)

6. FIPS on FAT32

7. Sound not detected on my iBook

8. Monitor Flickering on 7044-170 running aix 4.3.3

9. sound under linuxppc on ibook

10. Sound on iBook and G4

11. Sound in SuSe Linux on iBook

12. suse 7.3 and sound support on new ibook

13. Pb sound & iBook