Floppy-based install of R5 possible?

Post by Paul Easth » Fri, 24 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction to do an
open firmware/ boot floppy type install of linuxppc 1999 on a powermac
7500?  Has anyone got an installer.coff which works with linuxppc-1999?

I've tried using the R4 installer.coff, but it complains about not being
able to find comps.pmac(which isn't in the R5 tree). Seems OK with the R4
distribution, but I'd prefer to install the current linuxppc if possible.

My machine won't boot from BootX with the ramdisk set up; it complains
about not having enough memory. Hence the interest in open firmware...

Paul E.

Post by jose » Fri, 24 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction to do an
> open firmware/ boot floppy type install of linuxppc 1999 on a powermac
> 7500?

i was wondering the same thing myself. i used the BootX app with ramdisk=...
redhat options to do my upgrade this am (nice upgrade, btw, worked smoothly;
R5.0 ->R5.3). how much memory do you have, anyhow? did you try the redhat
option, it's far lower on memory than the X install.

i was thinking it'd be possible, btw, to rebuild the installer.coff
disk/image with a new tree for installs in it. if you do build one, pass it
along. it'd be nice... i sure miss BootVars/OF and the floppies... </luddite>

Post by Paul Easth » Sat, 25 Sep 1999 04:00:00

>> I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction to do an
>> open firmware/ boot floppy type install of linuxppc 1999 on a powermac
>> 7500?

> how much memory do you have, anyhow?

16Mb. I can't even boot from bootX with the ramdisk set at 8192 and this
amount of memory("could not allocate memory for kernel and ramdisk" or
somesuch). So starting either redhat or xli installer via macos seems to
be out. According to the linuxppc site you can run on 16Mb, so perhaps
something weird is going on...

Paul