USB modem for iMac/LinuxPPC??

Post by C.R. Carlso » Thu, 17 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Greetings:

 As far as I can tell, from researching the available info, my modem,
(Global Village, 56K, USB) is not supported by any current linux
configuration.  I lost my serial modem from lightning. Hence, with the
iMac, I cannot connect via LinuxPPC. Makes it hard to update software,
etc.
 Question 1: has anyone replaced/removed the serial modem on the iMac
(333 mHz)?
 Question 2: assuming my modem is not now supported, is there a way to
brew up something? Briefly what would it take?
 Thanks!!!

CRCarlson
Philosopher and Curmudgeon

USB modem for iMac/LinuxPPC??

Post by C.R. Carlso » Sat, 19 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Yes, I checked that site and, alas, my modem is not supported. In fact I
would comment that most of the modems listed aren't typically configured
for the mac. That said, I wonder if it would make sense to consider buying
a modem that would work on both operating systems (MacOS & LinuxPPC) via
USB.
Thanks.

> +  As far as I can tell, from researching the available info, my modem,
> + (Global Village, 56K, USB) is not supported by any current linux
> + configuration.

> have you taken a look here? http://www.linux-usb.org/

> --
> Bicycle Crash Test Dummy for Hire

1. USB modems are coming; iMac II modem

Hello folks,
I make a habit of following the FCC approvals for new modems,
and it seems that more USB modems (ISDN and otherwise) will be
appearing on the shelves pretty soon.  3Com and Aztech had some
approved today, for example.

Here's an URL for the I?aky Linux/USB project:
http://electricrain.com/linux/USB/snapshots.html

I think he's looking for help.

http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

P.S. There are a couple of notebook modems approved for use
in an iMac II, P1, and P101.  Is this the iMac notebook I've
been hearing about?

2. Okay, so now what?

3. USB Modems and LinuxPPC

4. FastTrack Server Problem: authorization failed

5. USB modem support with LinuxPPC

6. where to buy 2nd hand sun system ?

7. Can LinuxPPC use a Global Village USB modem?

8. mpeg encoding with sound

9. Anbody port a USB modem to LinuxPPC?

10. Mounting USB Zip and USB floppy on LinuxPPC 2000

11. IDE Drives VANISH with LinuxPPC 1999 Q3 on iMac

12. LinuxPPC 2000, iMac, No Sound

13. Ok, some questions on installing LinuxPPC 2000 on imac