Has any gotten a PCI sound card to work on PPC linux"

Has any gotten a PCI sound card to work on PPC linux"

Post by Ralph Blac » Fri, 19 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Has anybody gotten a PCI sound card to function on linuxppc?

If so, what sound card did you use?

Thanks

Chip

1. having trouble getting sound working...

G'day,

just installed Mandrake 8.2 on a Toshiba laptop - it has
a Yamaha OPL3-SA3 soundcard in it.

Well you guessed it, no sound; the mp3 player starts and the
display bounces like it's playing, the CD player counts ok,
VCDs play without sound...
Please "give me a clue"(tm) as to where to start.
I'm totally new at this, and kind of overwhelmed by the amount
of reading to be done [even for the basics! :) ]

I went straight to the Mandrake site and searched on "sound"
- it said to do lspcidrake at the command prompt: no listing
of any sound card. No surprise there, I suppose.
Reading further, [search for troubleshooting] leads to another
doc: "Troubleshooting sound of music" which says to do a
command "sndconfig"
But that returns a "command not found".

Digging into the sound-howto doc leads me to look at my
/lib/modules/2.4.4/kernel/drivers/sound/
[although of course in my case it's actually
/lib/modules/2.4.18-6mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/ ] to see if my
soundcard is there; it's not.

At this stage [do I need to be rebuilding the kernel?] I thought
I'd appeal to the greater wisdom - hopefully someone else has
been through this already, any hints or pointers will be very
very much appreciated.

TIA :)

--

Piano and Synthesizer                 http://www.merlinzener.com
Noosa, Australia

"No-one ever went blind from looking on the bright side of life"

2. Recommendation on fast cheap hardware RAID 0

3. Having "real" and "private" IPs work together on one hub

4. MDK 9.1: How can I run a firewall before establishing ppp0 internet connection?

5. I'm having some trouble getting a PCMCIA card to work properly

6. setting up routing

7. Getting a SMC EZ card PCI 10 to work in RedHat6.0 Linux

8. Argc! black screen, cursor only - X w/ Stealth 24

9. Getting a VIBRA 16 sound card to work, under linux

10. Getting Sound Card and CD-ROM to work with Linux?

11. Sound Card Help: ALSA driver, ESSOLO 1938 PCI Sound Card

12. Will Diamond "Video 64" PCI Card w s3 chip set Work?

13. Which PCI Sound Card work on Dell XPS-V under Linux?