generic acct mgmt question

Post by MoofMoo » Sun, 29 Oct 2000 13:20:20

Now that I have installed the LAG version of Linux, I cannot seem to
make a user account that I can log into. I have tried several, and I
can su to any one of them and use passwd from the user prompt, but I
cannot start a session from the login prompt. I am guessing there is
something in /etc that I have to modify.

Any help is appreciated

1. NS Enterprise 3.0 and Server Acct Mgmt

I am running NS Enterprise 3.0 on Solaris, and I've been looking for a
way to let users update their own account information, without giving
them access to the full Administration Server Users and Groups
interface, which would also let a user update every other person's
information in addition to their own.

After digging around the directory structure a little, I found a
directory called:

  <server root>/bin/user/admin/

Underneath this directory is are /bin and a /html/en directories.  The
/bin holds compiled code and the html holds html pages.  By starting the
CGI script /bin/index in the browser, you get a 3-frame interface (top
is title, left is menu, right is content) which looks like it might be
exactly the type of user account management application I've been
looking for--but I can't make it work!

I found that moving the application around to a place where it would be
more convienient to map to caused it to dump core (no idea why), so I
left it in place and created a mapping right to it.

Now, when I click the "Password" or "Personal Information" items on the
menu, the content frame says that "An error occurred while contacting
the LDAP server."

Two questions:

  1.  Has anyone configured this application to work for them?
  2.  Do I have to use the Directory Server, or can I use the local
database directory?

Dustin A. Davis '94                             FedEx STAR Center
Business Applications Analyst          600 East Las Colinas Blvd.
Voice:   (972) 868-8627                                Suite 1400
Fax:     (972) 868-8522                       Irving, Texas 75039

2. Reading IBM-labeled tapes on HP-UX

3. Any PD source for Queues/Stacks/FIFOs/Generic DB MGMT

4. Recommend Tape drive?

5. mainframe-style data mgmt, tape mgmt

6. New or Revised TAs on websco, 960713

7. Question on Mem Mgmt/swap

8. Mail sending app

9. Generic DNS Question ...

10. QUESTION: Generic server for home network

11. Some generic USB and Firewire questions

12. Generic Email question

13. Some random questions on signals in Unix (Linux, but more or less generic)