Where's the startup "fsck" file?

Post by Ralph Bran » Mon, 06 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I recently put an extra internal harddrive in my 7200. I have MkLinux on
an external HD. I've changed the designation of the MkLinux disc in
"lilo.conf", but when I start up, I can't get into MkLinux itself because
it wants to "fsck" my disk and the one it wants to "fsck" is no now an
internal HD.

So, can I edit a file somewhere using LinuxDisks to tell MkLinux which
disk to "fsck"?

Ralph Brands

Post by Michael Schmit » Tue, 07 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> an external HD. I've changed the designation of the MkLinux disc in
> "lilo.conf", but when I start up, I can't get into MkLinux itself because
> it wants to "fsck" my disk and the one it wants to "fsck" is no now an
> internal HD.

> So, can I edit a file somewhere using LinuxDisks to tell MkLinux which
> disk to "fsck"?

/etc/fstab sounds like what you should edit.

        Michael

Post by Jeff Aleande » Thu, 09 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> I recently put an extra internal harddrive in my 7200. I have MkLinux on
> an external HD. I've changed the designation of the MkLinux disc in
> "lilo.conf", but when I start up, I can't get into MkLinux itself because
> it wants to "fsck" my disk and the one it wants to "fsck" is no now an
> internal HD.

> So, can I edit a file somewhere using LinuxDisks to tell MkLinux which
> disk to "fsck"?

You probably need to change your "fstab" file (/etc/fstab).  This file
lists a table of all the file systems your computer knows about it.
Change the column where the device is to the new name of the device and
put the file back.  You may want to make a backup copy of this file
before you edit it.  Be sure to edit it in something like BBEdit that
will honor the unix-style return characters, and be sure to update your
swap partition (if it changed) as well as your standard file systems!

-Jeff

1. can't recover "fsck" after power off without "init 0"

Dear friends:
 my unix (sun solaris) system lost power supply suddenly without "init 0".
when I power on it, I use "fsck -m" and get "can not open
/dev/dsk/c0d0s0,c0d0s1,c0d0s3...", and I try to "umount /export/home/" (to
fsck it)in /usr or /opt, it says "/export/home busy", same thing heppens to
"umount /usr/openwin" ......
 Please help. Thanks.
 Quinn

**** Posted from RemarQ - http://www.remarq.com - Discussions Start Here (tm) ****

2. RH6.0 and ISDN

3. help --- can't recover "fsck" after power off without "init 0"

4. MCC-interim release problem with login

6. General tips for new installs, any version, never used linux before

8. Cable mode security ?

9. Question re "mailx" and ".mailrc" startup file

10. "Can't open file" ( flat file ) and "flock()unimplemented ..."

11. "Standard Journaled File System" vs "Large File Enabled Journaled File System"

12. Type "(", ")" and "{", "}" in X...

13. Why doesn't echo "text" 'command' "more text" work?