unable to install mklinux DR3 on G3/233

Post by Shannon Luca » Sun, 07 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I'm having a problem getting mklinux to install on my IDE hard disk. I'm
pretty sure I got the partitions set up right, just when I start installing
it searches for drives and tells me that I have forgotten to configure my
SCSI controller. How do I make it detect the IDE drive?

much thanks,
Shannon

Post by ceya.. » Sun, 07 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> I'm having a problem getting mklinux to install on my IDE hard disk.

Please provide more information, like output from pdisk, how your
lilo.conf (I think that is what it's called) is set up, where your
various installation files are located, etc.

unable to install mklinux DR3 on G3/233

Post by Shannon Luca » Sun, 07 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Please provide more information, like output from pdisk, how your
> lilo.conf (I think that is what it's called) is set up, where your
> various installation files are located, etc.

The installation files are located on the CD-ROM which I can get to boot and
start the install.

Quote:>From lili.conf:

# And here's the actual rootdev line in this file:
rootdev=/dev/hda

The partition report from pdisk:
Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/hdc'
 #:                type name              length   base     ( size )

Device block size=512, Number of Blocks=16809659 (8.0G)
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0
Drivers-

For some reason the CD-ROM has to be /dev/hda I've tried swapping the hard
drive and the CD-ROM so that the CD is /dev/hdb, but the CD doesn't boot if
I do. I honestly have no idea what the partition table should look like, so
if that's where my problem is let me know.

thanks,
shannon

Post by ceya.. » Mon, 08 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> The installation files are located on the CD-ROM which I can get to boot and
> start the install.

I didn't use the CD to install, I downloaded from Apple, so I am not familiar
with how it works in your situation.  Maybe someone else will help you.  Also
the FAQ-o-matic (follow the FAQ links at http://www.mklinux.apple.com) has
many helpful hints on how to deal with common problems.

good luck, Charles

1. Install problems with Mklinux DR3 on G3 Desktop

Hello everybody!

Sorry for my bad English, I'm a student from Germany!

I tried to install Mklinux DR 3 on my G3/300 Desktop. I followed the
readme-file and used a external SCSI disk for installing. On booting
after partitioning disks i got a problem.

The bootstrap.conf file was found by the installer and it switched to
blue screen. I got some text lines, then the last line says something
like "Ramdisk initialized ..." and then cursor jumps to the last line on
screen writing "BAD Signature" and freezes.

Could anybody help me with that error message, please!

Thanx, Abraham

2. Translation

3. Can't install MkLinux pre-DR3 on a Power Mac 9500/G3 266

4. pb with Kdevelop

5. Unable to install MkLinux DR3

6. Sending mail with PPP link to ISP

7. Help: MKLinux DR3 - unable to install from CD

8. 3Com 3C509B problem with NFS

9. OF screen Alias for G3 (was Boot device on PM G3/233)

10. Powerlogix G3 ZIP 466/233 on Beige G3 + LinuxPPC 99

11. Installing linuxppc on a Mac G3/233

12. MkLinux DR3 screen resolution problem solved on G3

13. G3 Ethernet MkLinux DR3