USB scanner or CDR success anyone?

Post by David R » Sat, 28 Oct 2000 08:37:42

I'm using the latest 2.2.18 kernel source from Ben H, which includes the
latest USB drivers. My USB keybaord, mouse and printer (Canon BJC-85) all
work perfectly.

But I'm having trouble with the scanner (Epson Perfection 610) and CDR
(Iomega Zip650). Both of these are reported to work on Linux/Intel
mnachines. I haven't seen any discussion here about them. I get various
errors for both the scanner and usb-storage modules. I'm not sure if I
need UHCI or OHCI for these, all docs I've read say UHCI but Ben says this
is not so for LinuxPPC.

I could post all my system errors but thought it would be better to check
if there are any success stories. If someone already knows how to do it
please post your steps.

Thanks,
Dave

--
David Ray

Post by Rick » Sun, 29 Oct 2000 23:08:20

> I'm using the latest 2.2.18 kernel source from Ben H, which includes the
> latest USB drivers. My USB keybaord, mouse and printer (Canon BJC-85) all
> work perfectly.

> But I'm having trouble with the scanner (Epson Perfection 610) and CDR
> (Iomega Zip650). Both of these are reported to work on Linux/Intel
> mnachines. I haven't seen any discussion here about them. I get various
> errors for both the scanner and usb-storage modules. I'm not sure if I
> need UHCI or OHCI for these, all docs I've read say UHCI but Ben says this
> is not so for LinuxPPC.

> I could post all my system errors but thought it would be better to check
> if there are any success stories. If someone already knows how to do it
> please post your steps.

> Thanks,
> Dave

Coud you tel me where you got the kernel, and if the map and modules
came with it? Or, did you compile the kernel from source? I would also
like to get a USB CD RW, printer and camera going. If USB were working,
I might even get a new scanner.

Thanks for any info.

--
Rick
* To email me remove NOSPAM from my address *

Post by David R » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 02:28:17

>+ Coud you tel me where you got the kernel, and if the map and modules
>+ came with it? Or, did you compile the kernel from source? I would also
>+ like to get a USB CD RW, printer and camera going. If USB were working,
>+ I might even get a new scanner.

>prebuilt vmlinux, System.map and modules from here
>http://ppclinux.apple.com/~benh/

Excuse me, but I was the one who made the original post. You do not know
where I got my kernel.

I compiled my kernel, from the latest kernel source by rsync to
ppc.samba.org:linux-pmac-benh. This is kernel 2.2.18pre15 and includes the
complete 2.3 USB backport. The backport includes the scanner module and
usb-storage module; the Iomega CDR and Epson scanners work under this code
on Linux/Intel. The problems I was describing in my original post are with
this kernel source. I'm in the process of debugging some problems under
this kernel.

The pre-compiled kernel that gustillo mentioned does not contian the 2.3
USB backport. It contains an older version of some USB code and some of it
doesn't work, it also doesn't include the usb-storage module needed for
the CDR. You shouldn't use that unless the only USB devices you care about
are keyboard, mouse and printer.

Quote:>source can be rsync'd from here http://linuxppc.org/dev/#trees
>downloaded from here, not as current as the links above
>http://kernel.xorsis.com/source.php

If you are trying to get USB devices to work, don't sereptitiosly download
any source unless you know specifically that it has the 2.3 USB backport
to 2.2 or is a stable 2.4 tree. The latest bleeding-edge 2.4 kernels have
all the USB code but have other problems; For an ordinary user who just
wants to get USB working, a 2.2 kernel with working USB is probably a
better way to go.

Dave

USB scanner or CDR success anyone?

Post by Stewart Smit » Thu, 02 Nov 2000 22:11:26

for CD Writers - you need the cdrecord package (can get from
www.rpmfind.net) as well as a frontend such as Xcdroast or gtoaster. you
can also get these packages from rpmfind.net

i'm working on getting .98 of xcdroast working on ppc. :)

after exams that is :) (i.e. back on it sometime next week)

email me if u need a hand :)

also  make sure you have appropriate SCSI support in your kernel

the device usually is something like /dev/sr0

--
Stewart Smith
ICQ 6734154

USB scanner or CDR success anyone?

Post by David R » Thu, 09 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Since I haven't gotten much response with my request for success stories,
here is some data I've collected in trying to fix the problem of my USB
scanner and CDR not showing up. If anybody has ideas what the problem
could be please email me or post. Thanks.
---------

Problem: can't access my USB scanner or USB CD-R.
Details:

Apple Powerbook G3 "101", LinuxPPC "2000"
Kernel 2.2.18pre15-ben1, kernel source from rsync ppc.samba.org:linux-pmac-benh
Contains "2.3 backport" USB code
usb-ohci compiled in kernel.
usb-scanner compiled as module (named "scanner").
usb-storage compiled as module.

1. CDR

"modprobe usb-storage"

(/var/log/messages:)
Oct 29 10:13:37 localhost kernel: usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
Oct 29 10:13:37 localhost kernel: scanner.c: probe_scanner: User specified
USB scanner -- Vendor:Product - 4b8:103
Oct 29 10:13:37 localhost kernel: USB Mass Storage support registered.
Oct 29 10:14:17 localhost kernel: usb.c: USB new device connect, assigned
device number 8
Oct 29 10:14:17 localhost kernel: scsi1 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass
Storage devices
Oct 29 10:14:17 localhost kernel: scsi : 2 hosts.
Oct 29 10:14:20 localhost kernel:   Vendor: IOMEGA    Model: ZIPCD 650
USB     Rev: I1.1
Oct 29 10:14:20 localhost kernel:   Type:
CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Oct 29 10:14:20 localhost kernel: Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi1,
channel 0, id 0, lun 0
Oct 29 10:14:35 localhost kernel: usb-storage: bus_reset() requested but
not implemented
Oct 29 10:14:40 localhost kernel: usb-storage: host_reset() requested but
not implemented
Oct 29 10:14:50 localhost kernel: sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 0x/0x caddy

(/proc/bus/usb/devices:)
T:  Bus=01 Lev=02 Prnt=02 Port=02 Cnt=02 Dev#=  8 Spd=12  MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 1.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=059b ProdID=0050 Rev= 1.00
S:  Manufacturer=Iomega
S:  Product=USB Zip CD
S:  SerialNumber=50000000000000000000
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=c0 MxPwr=  0mA
I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=08(stor.) Sub=06 Prot=50 Driver=usb-storage
E:  Ad=01(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=  64 Ivl=  0ms
E:  Ad=82(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=  64 Ivl=  0ms
E:  Ad=83(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   2 Ivl= 32ms

I ran MAKEDEV and it didn't help. If it shows up as a scsi device such as
/dev/sda, etc, I've tried several variations of those to no avail. I have
cdrecord, cdrdao and gtoaster. Are there any commands
I can use to test?

2. Scanner

/etc/modules.conf has the following line:
   options scanner vendor=0x04b8 product=0x0103

Using sane version sane-1.0.3-2mdk
/etc/sane.d/dll.conf has the following line: epson
/etc/sane.d/epson.conf has the following line: usb /dev/usb/scanner0

"ls -l /dev/usb/scanner0"
crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root     180,  48 Sep 22 10:06 /dev/usb/scanner0

symbolic links from /dev/usbscanner, /dev/usbscanner0, /dev/usb/scanner

"modprobe scanner"

(/var/log/messages:)
Oct 29 09:29:08 localhost kernel: usb.c: registered new driver usbscanner
Oct 29 09:29:08 localhost kernel: scanner.c: probe_scanner: User specified
USB scanner -- Vendor:Product - 4b8:103
Oct 29 09:29:08 localhost kernel: scanner.c: probe_scanner: User specified
USB scanner -- Vendor:Product - 4b8:103
Oct 29 09:29:08 localhost kernel: scanner.c: USB Scanner support registered.

(/proc/bus/usb/devices:)
T:  Bus=01 Lev=02 Prnt=02 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#=  4 Spd=12  MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 1.00 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=00 Prot=ff MxPS= 8 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=04b8 ProdID=0103 Rev= 0.01
S:  Manufacturer=EPSON
S:  Product=Perfection610
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=40 MxPwr=  2mA
I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=usbscanner
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=  64 Ivl=  0ms
E:  Ad=02(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=  64 Ivl=  0ms

"in.saned -d128 &"

no errors or syslog messages

"scanimage -d epson:/dev/usb/scanner0 -v"

(on console:)
scanimage: open of device epson:/dev/usb/scanner0 failed: Device busy

(/var/log/messages:)
Oct 29 09:32:21 localhost modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-81

I have the latest device tree from dev-2.7.18-3b.ppc.rpm

"ls -l /dev/* | grep 81, | sort"

crw-------    1 daver    sys       81,   0 Jan 28  2000 /dev/video0
crw-------    1 daver    sys       81,   1 Jan 28  2000 /dev/video1
crw-------    1 daver    sys       81,  64 Jan 28  2000 /dev/radio0
crw-------    1 daver    sys       81,  65 Jan 28  2000 /dev/radio1
crw-------    1 daver    sys       81, 192 Jan 28  2000 /dev/vtx0
crw-------    1 daver    sys       81, 193 Jan 28  2000 /dev/vtx1
crw-------    1 daver    sys       81, 224 Jan 28  2000 /dev/vbi0
crw-------    1 daver    sys       81, 225 Jan 28  2000 /dev/vbi1

It looks to me like scanimage is correctly invoking the scanner module, which
then invokes modprobe, which is failing. If this is correct would not the
problem lie in the kernel source not in sane? I believe I'm using the very
latest sane source. Perhaps there is a mismatch between the kernel symbols
in the usb-scanner module and in 2.2.18.

I know that people report 2.4 works better. The reason I'm not using that is
I get a compiler bug error when I try to compile 2.4 -- entirely separate
problem. I'm just trying to find the easiest path to get my scanner to work.

I'm also told that the rsync kernel source ppc.samba.org:linux-pmac-stable
now has the latest USB backport code added, same USB code as is in -benh.
This is also a 2.2.x kernel, so I assume the kernel symbol problem
would be the same there?

-Dave

--
David Ray