The Eagle Has Landed

The Eagle Has Landed

Post by Andrew J. Bre » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 05:34:59



Finally the new Power Mac G5 are there and there soon will be an
affordable 64 bit platform for GNU/Linux.

Just thought someone ought to mention it. :-)

--
Andrew J. Brehm
Fan of Woody Allen
PowerPC User
Supporter of Pepperoni Pizza

 
 
 

The Eagle Has Landed

Post by Petter Gusta » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 16:47:59



Quote:> Finally the new Power Mac G5 are there and there soon will be an
> affordable 64 bit platform for GNU/Linux.

How much does it cost? Some of the lower end AMD Opteron systems are
pretty cheap too.

Petter

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?

 
 
 

The Eagle Has Landed

Post by Andrew J. Bre » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 17:11:19




> > Finally the new Power Mac G5 are there and there soon will be an
> > affordable 64 bit platform for GNU/Linux.

> How much does it cost? Some of the lower end AMD Opteron systems are
> pretty cheap too.

The dual 2 GHz model costs US$3000 (less if you don't want the
SuperDrive).

--
Andrew J. Brehm
Fan of Woody Allen
PowerPC User
Supporter of Pepperoni Pizza

 
 
 

The Eagle Has Landed

Post by Petter Gusta » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 17:45:00





> > > Finally the new Power Mac G5 are there and there soon will be an
> > > affordable 64 bit platform for GNU/Linux.

> > How much does it cost? Some of the lower end AMD Opteron systems are
> > pretty cheap too.

> The dual 2 GHz model costs US$3000 (less if you don't want the
> SuperDrive).

Einux (http://www.einux.com/config/model.php) has Dual Opteron
machines starting at US$1695 according to their web site.

Petter
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?

 
 
 

The Eagle Has Landed

Post by Andrew J. Bre » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 18:20:44






> > > > Finally the new Power Mac G5 are there and there soon will be an
> > > > affordable 64 bit platform for GNU/Linux.

> > > How much does it cost? Some of the lower end AMD Opteron systems are
> > > pretty cheap too.

> > The dual 2 GHz model costs US$3000 (less if you don't want the
> > SuperDrive).

> Einux (http://www.einux.com/config/model.php) has Dual Opteron
> machines starting at US$1695 according to their web site.

And?

--
Andrew J. Brehm
Fan of Woody Allen
PowerPC User
Supporter of Pepperoni Pizza

 
 
 

The Eagle Has Landed

Post by Petter Gusta » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 18:49:54




> Finally the new Power Mac G5 are there and there soon will be an
> affordable 64 bit platform for GNU/Linux.

> > Einux (http://www.einux.com/config/model.php) has Dual Opteron
> > machines starting at US$1695 according to their web site.
> And?

Well, that's an affordable 64-bit platform for GNU/Linux...

Petter
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?

 
 
 

The Eagle Has Landed

Post by Andrew J. Bre » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 20:02:35





> > Finally the new Power Mac G5 are there and there soon will be an
> > affordable 64 bit platform for GNU/Linux.


> > > Einux (http://www.einux.com/config/model.php) has Dual Opteron
> > > machines starting at US$1695 according to their web site.
> > And?

> Well, that's an affordable 64-bit platform for GNU/Linux...

Yes, but it's neither a PowerPC (and thus less interesting) nor do such
machines appear to be available on the continent (yet).

--
Andrew J. Brehm
Fan of Woody Allen
PowerPC User
Supporter of Pepperoni Pizza

 
 
 

The Eagle Has Landed

Post by Andrew J. Bre » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 02:18:14





> > Finally the new Power Mac G5 are there and there soon will be an
> > affordable 64 bit platform for GNU/Linux.

> > Just thought someone ought to mention it. :-)

> You say it will be affordable, but you don't say HOW!!

> Apple has already had all my money...

:-)

--
Andrew J. Brehm
Fan of Woody Allen
PowerPC User
Supporter of Pepperoni Pizza

 
 
 

1. Houston, The mouse has landed...

I solved my mouse problems that I've been peppering these news groups
with for the last few days.

Here are some discoveries that I made along the way:

- A 16550AF type serial port is compatible with the 16550A type.  I thought
  this was an issue since the 'setserial' command didn't support an argument
  for 16550AF which is what my serial port type is.  It wasn't the problem.

- Leaving the ClearDTR and ClearRTS lines in my XF86Config file caused my
  mouse to go back to 2-button Microsoft mode on subsequent launches
  of X.  

- (The Biggie) Just because most of the literature out there regarding mouse
  config talk about the mouse being on COM 1, don't forget about your PC's
  configuration.  I'd been flailing away on COM 1 when it occurred to me that
  there is a  modem card installed.  After I finished flogging myself, I moved
  /dev/mouse to /dev/cua1.  It worked.

Thanks to everyone who responded with advice.

Mike.

2. Linux on Compaq Prosignia VS

3. Cyber Citizen lands Felony Charges?

4. Mosaic for X Windows 2.6b2 Help!!!

5. The martians have landed!

6. help needed setting up printer/LaTeX/Lyx

7. *** Wyoming Oil Lands Lottery Opens to All In November ***

8. How I can make boot CD

9. help system goes to never never land

10. User-land build for OpenBSD-current/alpha

11. Land attack on Tru64 V5.1 server

12. Thunderbird 1.0 has landed!

13. REVISED Sec. Bulletin with land on HP-UX