USB modem support with LinuxPPC

Post by Clarence R Carlso » Thu, 28 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Greetings:
  I have posted here before about losing my iMac serial modem and having
to rely on USB modems, which I haven't gotten working.
  After researching the issue over on the USB page, I find that USB
support for modems comes in the ACM driver. And it seems that most of
the USB being backported includes the ACM as a module. (I downloaded a
2.2.14 kernel that had 2.3.whatever USB support backported in and use it
for my Epson 740 printer, which works fine.)
  I also found out that there are USB modems that use the ACM standard.
For example I see Zoom, Diamond and some 3Com's listed.
  Assuming I had such a modem, and have an acm.o module (I do, I
checked), what do I have to do to get it to work. Just do an insmod for
the module? Is there more to it? What's my next step?
  Thanks in advance.

--
"The art of being wise is knowing what to overlook."
                                    William James

Clarence R Carlson

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

USB modem support with LinuxPPC

Post by Bernhard Reit » Fri, 29 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>   I have posted here before about losing my iMac serial modem and having
> to rely on USB modems, which I haven't gotten working.
>   After researching the issue over on the USB page, I find that USB
> support for modems comes in the ACM driver. And it seems that most of
> the USB being backported includes the ACM as a module. (I downloaded a
> 2.2.14 kernel that had 2.3.whatever USB support backported in and use it
> for my Epson 740 printer, which works fine.)
>   I also found out that there are USB modems that use the ACM standard.
> For example I see Zoom, Diamond and some 3Com's listed.
>   Assuming I had such a modem, and have an acm.o module (I do, I
> checked), what do I have to do to get it to work. Just do an insmod for
> the module? Is there more to it? What's my next step?

Insmod the module.
Make the proper device in /dev.
You have to read up what device number the driver uses.

Then you should be able to open the device with minicom.

I never tested this, though.
        Bernhard

--
Professional Service around Free Software                (intevation.net)
The FreeGIS Project                                         (freegis.org)

1. G3+LinuxPPC R5 USB printer support?

I'm getting along pretty well with my new installation, I've got both my old
8100/110 running MKLinux, and the new G3/400 running LinuxPPC. But I don't quite
know what to do about printing. Aside from my HP Laserjet 5MP that I have on
Ethernet (I can set that up fine) I have an Epson 1520 that runs either serial
or USB. I have a Keyspan 2 port USB->serial adapter, but these could never drive
my Epson 1520 from MacOS, so I bought the Epson USB printer cable. But is this
supported in LinuxPPC r5?

I suppose there are a few different strategies I could use, I could plug the
Epson into the old 8100 and rig it as a print server. But I do huge MacOS
printing jobs from the G3, I need it attached to the G3 unless I can get really
fast print spooling.

Any suggestions on setting up this inkjet via USB or a Keyspan serial adapter,
or any other clever ideas would be appreciated.

2. Problem with Quotas in Solaris 2.5.1

3. USB Support for installing LinuxPPC 1999?

4. Help! FAT: bogus logical sector size 5632

5. USB Modems and LinuxPPC

6. Halt hangs on APM motherboard

7. Can LinuxPPC use a Global Village USB modem?

8. 3com install

9. USB modem for iMac/LinuxPPC??

10. Anbody port a USB modem to LinuxPPC?

11. Mounting USB Zip and USB floppy on LinuxPPC 2000

12. Does Linux support USB modems ?

13. USB modem support?