Can you use Linux software in Linux PPC?

Can you use Linux software in Linux PPC?

Post by Jako » Thu, 16 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hi folks

Can you use linux stuff from other Redhat users on Linux PPC?
Why  is there a Netscape Navi. for linux PPC when there is one for
normal Linux users.
So, can I use all software from eg. www.rootshell.com and places like
that????

Could anyone explain this mess to me..

Thanx in adwance.....
Jakob

Can you use Linux software in Linux PPC?

Post by Henry Lafleu » Thu, 16 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Can you use linux stuff from other Redhat users on Linux PPC?
>Why  is there a Netscape Navi. for linux PPC when there is one for
>normal Linux users.
>So, can I use all software from eg. www.rootshell.com and places like
>that????

>Could anyone explain this mess to me..

Programs must be compiled for the Power PC processor to run on Linux PPC. If
the files at www.rootshell.com are executables for normal Linux (such as
RedHat/Intel), then they will not work under Linux PPC. To get them to work,
you could download the source code and try to compile them, but this may not
work and may require extra programming and debugging. Unless you are a
programmer, you should wait until someone else ports the software to the
Power PC platform.

Netscape compiled Linux for the Power PC processors, but did not completely
debug it (last time I heard Java didn't work). (Now, Netscape code is
available from www.mozilla.org.)

Henry.

Can you use Linux software in Linux PPC?

Post by Jason » Fri, 17 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Henry Lafleur posted the following to comp.os.linux.powerpc:

Quote:>>Can you use linux stuff from other Redhat users on Linux PPC?
>>Why  is there a Netscape Navi. for linux PPC when there is one for
>>normal Linux users.
>>So, can I use all software from eg. www.rootshell.com and places like
>>that????
>>Could anyone explain this mess to me..
>Programs must be compiled for the Power PC processor to run on Linux PPC. If
>the files at www.rootshell.com are executables for normal Linux (such as
>RedHat/Intel), then they will not work under Linux PPC. To get them to work,
>you could download the source code and try to compile them, but this may not
>work and may require extra programming and debugging. Unless you are a
>programmer, you should wait until someone else ports the software to the
>Power PC platform.

Don't make this sound so scary!  Most source-available software can be
compiled without problems on Linux/PowerPC.  If it has a configure file
in the top-level directory, type "configure" and then "make".  Most often
it will work just fine.  If it builds, su to root and type "make install".

--
Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time
to reform.

Post by Tom Harringt » Fri, 17 Jul 1998 04:00:00

: Can you use linux stuff from other Redhat users on Linux PPC?
: Why  is there a Netscape Navi. for linux PPC when there is one for
: normal Linux users.

Whaddya mean, "normal" Linux users?

If you mean "people who run Linux on x86-based PCs", then the reason
is that PowerPCs are not x86-class processors.  You can't take a
compiled x86/Pentium program and run it on a PowerPC system without
some heavy-duty emulation.

: So, can I use all software from eg. www.rootshell.com and places like
: that????

If you're getting source code, you can probably compile it for LinuxPPC.
If you're getting compiled binaries, they need to have been compiled
for PowerPC in order to work.  You can't take a compiled binary for
PC-Linux and run it on LinuxPPC.

--

       "Watch out!  You might get what you're after!" -Talking Heads
Cookie's Revenge: ftp://ftp.rmi.net/pub2/tph/cookie/cookies-revenge.sit.hqx