for jhaas / Netscape Java still buggy...

for jhaas / Netscape Java still buggy...

Post by Eric Beaver » Mon, 28 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Jason,

The new Netscape rpm still crashes when Java is enabled. Apparently,
this is related to the FontPath setting in XF86Config. A *nix friend of
mine pointed this out. The fix is on my web page at
<http://beelers.home.mindspring.com/pcc.html> which is the page that you
said I should link up ;)

Could you either link to that site from your Netscape update page or
include the fix on your page so that people can get Netscape going
properly. I'm willing to bet your page gets more traffic that mine ;)
--
Get your PowerPC Linux news!!!
http://beelers.home.mindspring.com

for jhaas / Netscape Java still buggy...

Post by Stig S?rense » Tue, 29 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hey Eric
Great tip there!
I found that my /etc/X11/XF86Config lacked all font-entries, but the bogus
one (unix/:-1). When I added the other font-paths, not only did Java in
Netscape work, but GIMP also stoped complaining about missing fonts when I
use the nice Logo plugins! What a holistic experience, fix one thing, and
another gets fixed all by itself ;-) COOL!!

Thanks alot!
Regards
Stig

Quote:> Jason,

> The new Netscape rpm still crashes when Java is enabled. Apparently,
> this is related to the FontPath setting in XF86Config. A *nix friend of
> mine pointed this out. The fix is on my web page at
> <http://beelers.home.mindspring.com/pcc.html> which is the page that you
> said I should link up ;)

> Could you either link to that site from your Netscape update page or
> include the fix on your page so that people can get Netscape going
> properly. I'm willing to bet your page gets more traffic that mine ;)
> --
> Get your PowerPC Linux news!!!
> http://beelers.home.mindspring.com

for jhaas / Netscape Java still buggy...

Post by Jason Haa » Tue, 29 Jun 1999 04:00:00

But I'll pass that one on. :)

1. MS Office 2000 is buggy, buggy, buggy

My day today with MS Office 2000:

I'm a programmer and was asked to prepare documentations and a presentation,
something no programmer really likes. Well, I swore and thought, lets just
slap something together quickly with Word and Powerpoint... I was mistaken.

The g**m Word crashed on me five times. Each time, after restarting Word
again, I could not open the file I was working on previously. Word
complained: "File locked by <me>".

After a while, I found out that I actually have to

1) kill the (window-less) process WINWORD.EXE and
2) delete all hidden files starting with '~'

before I could go on and open the file again. Being a programmer, I wrote
myself a tool to do this automatically.

"Ease of use"? Yeah right, I can just see all the secretaries just opening
the taskmanager and killing processes...

Poor, poor, poor quality. Amazing what they get away with.

More issues:
- The graphical component (vector graphics) inside MS Word and Powerpoint is
a Joke. No, really. The behaviour is often illogical and unpredictable. It
also caused two of my five crashes. Scaling groups of objects does not work
properly. And so on. Pure pain - I wish I had Visio installed or some other
*professional* Graphics tool.
- Importing data from Word to powerpoint is error prone, to say the least.
Tables get scr*ed up.

As a bottomline, this will be the last presentation I prepared using MS
Office.

2. Where does KDE, Afterstep, and Gnome go?

4. skipping boot cdrom install's install of patch cluster

5. Buggy 3C574, or buggy administrator?

6. New to Linux: Xconfigure/Aptiva/Trident card problem

7. RedHat 6 and Netscape fix for Java for things like yahoo Java chat applet

8. Linux Kernal on silicon. Anyone done it?

9. netscape remote example is buggy (solaris)

10. JHaas on Yahoo! Chat?

11. Capture stills from JVC Video camera

12. Sony camera download stills...

13. java/50729: java/jdk14: broken java.net.NetworkInterface calls