Question about Mklinux

Post by Jason » Sat, 31 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hi all - I am a happy linux-pmac user who is curious about what is going on
on the "other side" <g> - i.e., Mklinux.  I'd like to be able to compare the
two systems firsthand, but in order to do that, Mklinux will have to support
my hardware.

Two questions:  does it do 603e/Alchemy (PowerBase 180, in my case)?

                does it do EIDE?

Thanks.

Question about Mklinux

Post by Aaron Shak » Sat, 31 Jan 1998 04:00:00

<<Two questions:  does it do 603e/Alchemy (PowerBase 180, in my case)?>>

Yes. When DR3 is released, it will have support for 603e Mac OS machines.

<<does it do EIDE?>>

Yes.

Aaron

Question about Mklinux

Post by Eric Benne » Sat, 31 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> Hi all - I am a happy linux-pmac user who is curious about what is going on
> on the "other side" <g> - i.e., Mklinux.  I'd like to be able to compare the
> two systems firsthand, but in order to do that, Mklinux will have to support
> my hardware.

> Two questions:  does it do 603e/Alchemy (PowerBase 180, in my case)?

>                 does it do EIDE?

It does IDE, but the installer will only install onto a SCSI drive (you
can manually copy to an IDE drive later).

DR3 (which one engineer admits has had "any day now" status for a month or
more :-) will allow direct installation on IDE drives, which is
particularly important for G3 owners (me :-).

I don't know about 603e/Alchemy support, however.

--

http://www.pobox.com/~ericb (Follow "About Me" link for PGP key)

Question about Mklinux

Post by Jason » Sun, 01 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>> Hi all - I am a happy linux-pmac user who is curious about what is going on
>> on the "other side" <g> - i.e., Mklinux.  I'd like to be able to compare the
>> two systems firsthand, but in order to do that, Mklinux will have to support
>> my hardware.
>> Two questions:  does it do 603e/Alchemy (PowerBase 180, in my case)?
>>                 does it do EIDE?
>It does IDE, but the installer will only install onto a SCSI drive (you
>can manually copy to an IDE drive later).

I'm not worried about installing - I've got a running linux-pmac system.
If all I have to do is drop the linux server and the pager in a
/mach_servers directory, and get the Mac-side stuff, I can try it out.
I just don't feel like wasting time downloading/installing something
that won't work...

Question about Mklinux

Post by Steve Pine » Mon, 02 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> >>                 does it do EIDE?

> >It does IDE, but the installer will only install onto a SCSI drive (you
> >can manually copy to an IDE drive later).

I know this will be a moot point with DR3, but how do you copy Linux
files form a SCSI disk to an EIDE disk?  I take it you need to create
A/UX partitions on the EIDE, boot into MkLinux, mount the EIDE
partitions, and do a binary copy?  Will my 6100 take an EIDE drive?

Question about Mklinux

Post by Per Erik R?n » Mon, 02 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> Will my 6100 take an EIDE drive?

No. It only contains a scsi-chain, and you will need a special card for
the EIDE drive.

This card will use your PDS-slot, and you will not be able to update
your 6100 to a G3 computer at 240 MHz ...
--
Per Erik R?nne

Homepage: http://www.diku.dk/students/xerxes
Remove '.edu' before e-mail [anti-spam]

Question about Mklinux

Post by John Timmer » Mon, 02 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> > Will my 6100 take an EIDE drive?

> No. It only contains a scsi-chain, and you will need a special card for
> the EIDE drive.

> This card will use your PDS-slot, and you will not be able to update
> your 6100 to a G3 computer at 240 MHz ...

Sorry, I haven't been following this thread, but that last message
caught my interest; how and what do I do to update (upgrade) my

Looking forward to the reply...

--
Regards

Selfish Website   http://mindlink.bc.ca/john_timmers

Question about Mklinux

Post by Per Erik R?n » Tue, 03 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> Sorry, I haven't been following this thread, but that last message
> caught my interest; how and what do I do to update (upgrade) my

> Looking forward to the reply...

It is cards coming from Newer Technologies. I cannot specify it any
closer since it is too late - but try looking at Newer Techonologis'
homepage [also MacWeek].
--
Per Erik R?nne

Homepage: http://www.diku.dk/students/xerxes
Remove '.edu' before e-mail [anti-spam]

Question about Mklinux

Post by Per Erik R?n » Tue, 03 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> It is cards coming from Newer Technologies. I cannot specify it any
> closer since it is too late - but try looking at Newer Techonologis'
> homepage [also MacWeek].

It is two cards with a G3 update. They cost $500 [$700] with 220 MHz
[240 MHz] and a level 2 cache of 512 K [1 M]. The fit into the Processor
Direct Slot on the 6100/7100/8100 where you may already have an Apple
DOS Compatibility Card [as I do] or an AV card.

This card is being removed, and the G3 card is placed in the slot. The
G3 card also contains a _new_ slot that will allow you to put down your
old DOS or AV card thus still being able to use your old card.

The 6100 cannot use the cards meant for the 7100/8100 [there simply
isn't sufficielt space], but a special version for the 6100 will come a
fortnight later. Possibly with a new upper chassis ...
--
Per Erik R?nne

Homepage: http://www.diku.dk/students/xerxes
Remove '.edu' before e-mail [anti-spam]

1. Questions about Mklinux

Hi there,

As an complete newbie, I have the following questions about Mklinux DR3:

1. Which GUI's can be used under Mklinux DR3, and where can they be found?
2. Which E-mail and web-browser can be used under Mklinux DR3, and where can
they be found?

That's all - take care,

Kim Vexborg
--
Try Elements - The Mike Oldfield Website < http://welcome.to/elements >

2. need help w/CDROM

3. Newbie questions for MkLinux R1!

5. Making mklinux cd (was mac 6100/66 and mklinux)

6. How can i read a SVR3 filesystem without mounting it?

7. Installation; problem at MKlinux /MacOS splash screen, after I choose Mklinux system hangs.

8. 3 questions about Apache

9. Question - LinuxPPC or MkLinux...

10. MkLinux questions

11. newbie mklinux question

12. MkLinux update question

13. Newbie Question: MkLinux, Apache, and Procmail